1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

steam cleaners

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Nov 16, 2015.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Sorry this thread or similar has been on before.
    I want to get a steam cleaner for 2 main purposes
    1: to use on tiles in kitchen /bathroom particularly to remove grease including the obnoxious stuff that seems to stick fast to the cupboards
    2 :for the wooden floor to clean
    If it also helps on windows even better.
    I do not mind if its mains operated as long as it dont weigh a ton in your hands
    I would appreciate your advice as to models and experience of this
    Thanks folks.

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

I have one of these Vax steam cleaners. It is mains powered but has a very long lead so it's not too restrictive.

I use it on tiles and windows and am very impressed with it. I use e-cloths to polish the windows after steaming and get brilliant results. It works as a floor mop or hand-held steamer, but the detergent dispenser only works with the floor mop. I use it a lot. It takes very little water to clean, meaning floors dry quickly and it heats up in seconds so no hanging around for it to be ready to use.

A word of warning though. We have recently had some engineered wood flooring in the dining room. It has an oiled finish. I was advised not to use the steam cleaner on it, so do be careful and check your wooden floor is suitable for steam cleaning. For the kitchen and bathroom tiled floors it is fine.

3. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I have the Morphy Richards 9 in 1 and found it more versatile than the Vax.
    1 You have an easy to remove and therefore refill tank.... it is clear/see thru too so you can see when to refill.
    2 The mid section comes away so as to make it a hand held machine.... this is a bonus as you can tackle near any job
    3 it has a similar range of tools and I clean:-

hardwood floors with the appropriate micro fibre covered tool + rugs and carpets with that tool.
    cookers
    all round sinks/taps/loos etc
    tile grout
    etc etc

you can do windows with it but I was always worried about doing it so stuck to old fashioned methods.

It heats up quickly so i am quite happy with it. I do treat it with care and all's well !

4. oldsomeman

Cheers!Aany more folks you have found useful.then i can inform Mrs Oldy although no doubt it'll be me using it lol

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter

My Vax has these features too. My son has a different Vax model to mine and that one isn't as easy to use.

6. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

Well, I like the Morphy Richards steam cleaner but then I also like the Vax steam cleaner. Which is better? There's only one way to find out...FIIIIIGGGGHHHT!!!!!

7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I know someone who has a Karcher. I've seen it at work and it makes a visible difference on tiles etc.

8. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I've got a Shark steam cleaner. Not only does it do hard floors but there's a gizmo that you put the mop head in to to deodourise and refresh carpets. The tank lifts out to a handheld unit which then converts to a steam jet, a multisurface cleaner (a special hose and head for hard surfaces, curtains etc) and another attachment for Windows and shower screens.

9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Windows!!! You use it on your PC? Eeek. ;)

teachingking123 likes this.
  10. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

It's a very efficient anti-virus protector ;)

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  11. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

We were going to get one of these some time ago (and then mainly just forgot) it seemed to me that they will get through the expensive replaceable cloths that go over the end at quite a rate, is this the case?

12. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I haven't noticed mine wearing out quickly and I chuck them through a 90 degree wash each time I use them.

Mangleworzle likes this.
  13. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I have the Vax like Marlin. It is very light.

14. grumpydogwoman

Anti-virus! Sharp. Sharp.

You wiped the floor with me on that one @RedQuilt

RedQuilt and teachingking123 like this.
  15. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

We were told not to use our steam cleaner on our kitchen floor, which is Amtico. I don't recall the reason why, but I stick to a mop and bucket, or hands and knees in the bathrooms.

We have a Karcher window vac for the windows - love it!

16. grumpydogwoman

I'm very tempted. My cleaning lady will love it!

marlin and lindenlea like this.
  17. oldsomeman

thanks for your ideas.we are in the search for the makes xx