1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Stealing' by Carol Ann Duffy Essay Plan or Paragraph Plan?

Discussion in 'English' started by mrvonnegut, Feb 27, 2011.

1. See if they can identify (with) the speaker in the poem. Why might they do what they do? Something along those lines. Maybe...

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

I would suggest a 'How does Duffy create/present/convey ...' question and get them to select three or four language features and find quotations writing a paragraph about each. Short paragraph as introduction, paragraphs about language and then some discussion of structure and form and a conclusion. That way you'll get different essays. If you give them a writing frame, they'll all be the same.

3. Thanks very much for thst guys. I'll try that. I appreciate that.

4. TESEnglish

TESEnglish Occasional commenter

5. I too teach in Scotland and have just done Stealing with a low ability S4. I have an essay plan that is almost like Cloze however their answers to questions on a separate sheet fill in the blanks if that makes any sense!

If you want it email lr1509@hotmail.com

6. Zadok1

Zadok1 New commenter

For a lower ability group I might be tempted to ask a direct question that encourages them to explore the aspects you need without noticing they're doing it! In stealing Duffy takes on a persona... but who is it?
    Most kids agree that it's probably a boy but then disagree over the age. In trying to discover the narrator's age they can go through all the stuff like the significance of stealing a snowman and trying to capture a childhood.. perhaps one he didn't have etc. But the language is quite sophisticated, as is the use of metaphor and simile so maybe he's a little older or just very smart. He steals things that symbolize a desire to be better than he is; Bust of Shakespeare and a guitar, but he doesn't steal to gain money so he probably has a care system of some kind that feeds and clothes him. They can analyse who is asking the unheard questions and in what situation that might happen, some think it's the police but there isn't a feeling of threat so it might be a carer or psychologist... it isn't a friend because he says they don't understand. I've worked on this poem with kids who decided that he must be being talked to by a psychologist because they think his behaviour in the houses is way too odd and needs help... that he sees himself as a 'mucky ghost'...
    I don't know the criteria for the Scottish board so you might have to give them bullet point questions to guide them through... but it's a great poem and there's loads to write about... good luck and hope they do well.