1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Steady Hand game

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by Queen of Narnia, Aug 31, 2011.

1. I was wondering if anyone had a scheme of work and a booklet for a Steady hand game that that they would be willing to share. i would be extremely grateful for any help. tillymint2@live.co.uk

2. Hi,

I don't teach this project, but this website is good and has a Steady Hand Game project resource section
    : http://www.ngfl-cymru.org.uk/vtc/ngfl/dandt/collected_resources/index_eng.html

3. Hi
    I have a booklet and a PowerPoint to accompany this project (not sure where my SoW for it is) will email you a copy when I get on my laptop. It's quite theory based eighths electronics but both resources are easily edited.

Kind regards :)

4. Thank you for all your offers of support, I am very grateful. Misfit, I would love to see a copy of your sow when you have a moment. Thank you.

5. Hi Tilly
    Is a powerpoint presentation showing a method of making the hand steady game of any use? I've taught in both Primary and Secondary and the same basic idea gives great results and allows for lots of variation in design. I've also got a basic circuits intro scheme which leads up to the 'invention' of a hand steady game.
    Kind regards
    Tom

6. Hi Tom,
    I would be extremely grateful for a copy of your ppt, anything that will help the little darlings (and me). Kind regards, Tilly.

7. Do you still have this, if so can you email it to me janescott29@gmail.com please.
    Thanks Jane

8. I'd love any help I can get to teach this to yr 8s if you still have these resources. My email is janescott29@gmail.com.
    Thanks Jane

9. Nothing like a bit of controversy.....

It's not 1975 anymore - surely this hideously outdated project should now be seen as an embarrassment? It's 2012, surely this should have moved on!? Genie chips, picaxe, anything.....

Here's DATA trying to help push our case to government for why our subject is essential and how it moves with the times......

10. Actually, I find the Steady Hand Game to be a really good project for teaching basics - the version I use means that I can cover using breadboard for prototyping, how resistors can be used, the difference between parallel and series circuits, and a range of outputs as well. It also has the added bonus of costing less than £1 for the full project (board, components and casing), rather than the £1 that each single PIC chip would cost me!
    There's nothing wrong with teaching older/basic projects, as long as it's done in the right way. Yes, more up to date projects have their place too, but I'd much rather my students understood the basics first...
    If anyone wants a powerpoint/resources for this project, send me a message and I'll forward it on.

11. Yes the concept of a steady hand game seems outdated, but it depends on the spin and delivery. Students love projects that they can relate to and add their own customisation of what they like eg Call of Duty theme, One Direction, Twilight etc. If you include scope for students to create what they want then they will enjoy it. The moving toys (automata) and steady hand game work great for Year 7s.

12. re

re New commenter

Unfortunately too many DT teachers regard adding a bit of surface decoration to a predetermined casing is designing. The steady hand game has been taught since at least 1980 (when I started teaching) and, whilst all sorts of things have moved on. Saying this I do use it for teaching electronics to Y10 BTEC engineering, but design opportunities are severely limted.

13. Nothing like a bit <u>more</u> controversy... Sorry, I think the "hand-steady game" still has potential when teaching D and T electronics (no pun intended!) - You mentioned the preferred use of microcontrollers as these reflect how the subject moves with the times but I remember using these in my teaching back in 1996!!
    I don't think the issue is about the project/technology per se, but more about how it's delivered and the opportunities it presents for learning and creativity. Projects using the latest electronic chip or black box wizardry can also be too prescriptive and allow little scope for design (more at the end).
    The hand steady game is still extremely popular with many teachers and students. It can can be made in many ways and offers many opportunities for differentiation. For instance it can be made by: using electronic devices rather than basic electrical devices, incorporating a transistor or Darlington Pair to improve its sensitivity, using your arms as the wire when holding the probe, substituting a carbon (pencil) track drawn on paper for the wire, adding a RC network to create a temporary latch or timer for the game, varying the output device to make it more noticeable - for instance louder, brighter, flashing, bleeping, using a microcontroller to introduce "lives before you are out"/musical melodies/time up indicators etc / difficulty levels, linking up several hand steady games in parallel to make them a team game. If all that is still passe you could perhaps use the hand-steady as a quick initial focused task and then ask your class to develop their own game to develop a practical skill (nicely linking in with the Olympics!) - This could allow the use of components and circuits you have previously prepared and are comfortable with.
    I have used the hand-steady on and off, as one of my starter projects, but ensure there is scope for design development and "managed" freedom so a range of different electronic devices can also be used. You can download 4 electronics starter projects (including the hand steady & other resources) from here.
    I wonder if you think we are helping to support the teaching of electronics or DATA'S lobbying, by offering projects such as the "up-to-date" mp3 kit amplifier project?!

14. Totally disagree..... I love this project.. so do my yr7 RMT. I have a simple capacitor circuit to provide a slight delay after contact has stopped. I have an acrylic 'chassis' attached to a wooden base. Sometimes I apply a vinyl sticker to it.... I sometimes get students to draw the circuit with and etch resist pen depending on the timetabled duration of the project...
    So students are introduced to basic materials, tools, technological and systems concepts. They sometimes use computer aided design and if I had time i would incorporate the use of the laser cutter.....It is an awesome projcet which teaches them a lot more than a standard prebuilt pic project which is then programmed via a flowchart as in ICT...
    The project is a fab vehicle for knowledge, understanding and experience .. there are plenty of 'up to date' projects that have far less value in those terms.
    Did I say the kids love it?

15. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Only because they're lazy. I take your points about variations on the theme but the truth is everyone on the planet got bored with it a few weeks after Brucie had contestents trying out on Sunday Night at the London Palladium back in the sixties.
    Is it honestly technology for the age we live in? What are you on? Even North Korea is sending monkeys into space now and returning them safely.
    It will be fascinating if the time ever comes when delegations from Britain and North Korea, India, China or even war struck Mali get to inspect what each other is doing to educate their kids in design and technology.
    How long do you think you'll be able to retain their attention with this game?

16. I am looking to introduce electronics next year as presently we do not do any. What do people think about the Steady Hand Game with year 7 for this purpose? and yes please I'd love any resources.

17. Sorry but I agree, this I feel has been 'done to death', yes we are in need for out students to produce modern innovative projects. Im sure looking at the 'Designing' mag produced by the D & T Association will give you many many ideas, even looking at 'back' copies. Have you any cadcam software/equipment?