1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Staying fit and full

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by oni44, Aug 20, 2012.

1. oni44

oni44 New commenter

Hello everyone.

just wanted to know what you have for lunch at school that avoids the temptation of fast or unhealthy food but tastes good , keep you full and keeps the calories at bay. Also when and where do you find the time to work out.

Starting my NQT and whist on placement I always gained weight. I would like to maintain a healthy mind body and soul

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I tend to take a salad or soup. Or left overs.

3. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I take salad with something like chicken, tuna or egg. Low calorie and protein. I usually take an apple and banana too, and low fat yoghurt.
    I work 0.5 as I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old, so I either go to the gym on my days off (I fit it around my husband's shifts) or after work as my children are at nursery until 6. I usually manage 4 gym sessions a week.
    Before I had children and worked full time, I used to keep my gym bag in the car and go straight after work, or go to aerobics classes in the evening. I used to go 5 times a week then.

4. oni44

oni44 New commenter

Thanks for your responses.

5 times a week, wow I love your motivation.

I will also have to try and stay away from the staffroom treats and 100 cups of tea and coffee , as I can't have them without sugar !

5. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I wanted to look good for my wedding [​IMG]
    Now I've been married 4 years, I want to look good just in general!
    Luckily we never have treats in the staffroom (secondary), and I stopped having sugar in coffee about 6 years ago. I don't think I'd have made it through the past year with caffeine, what with 2 small children. I've often been to work on only a couple of hours of sleep!

6. Got loads of eating plans and snack ideas perfect for us teachers just pm me with an email address and Ill send them over, been a godsend especially around staff birthdays lol

7. Soup (packet or that made in a saucepan if at home) or sandwiches. If I can, I also sometimes have a jacket potato either just with a little spread or some beans (e.g. if out shopping or in the canteen if available). Ordinarily though, I just have sandwiches and crisps for lunch and a yoghurt in the afternoon.
    As for workouts, I do yoga for at least 10 mins 5 times a week to keep my stress levels and insommnia at bay. Funnily enough, I also found that I dropped a dress size 6 months after starting yoga and it's stayed off ever since, even though I haven't changed my diet in any way. I do appreciate the fact that I have a 'slim build' anyway, but when I had to stop yoga for 6 weeks last year after having a minor op, I noticed that I started to put on weight and was less toned (not enough to worry about-only a few pounds but enough for me to notice). When I went back to yoga, the pounds came off again. I've also found it easier to control my appetite since doing yoga as well, so although the 'experts' slate it as a weight loss exercise, I've found that I enjoy it and it works for me. That said, I can't drive, so I also walk everywhere especially at lunchtime or breaktimes at work. Again to manage my stress levels.
    My sister has also found zumba and running to be useful and when she's 'being good' as she puts it (she follows the weight watchers points system from time to time), she has salad, a sandwich and some ryvita thins or mini rice cakes (salt and vinegar flavour)-after looking at the packet, I personally feel I'm better off sticking to a bag of crisps with lower calories as the contents don't seem to be that much different (e.g. in terms of salt).