1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stay in one place vs moving on?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by lottielonsdale, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Hi, I'm just finding myself wondering about this, having spent one year in the school I completed my NQT at, I then moved on to a bigger and more successful 11-18 school and stayed there for three years before securing a post as second in department, and stayed there for another three years. I then got my first post as HOD, but I hated the school so much I only stayed a term. I am now a HOD, but in a different school.
    My friends at my first school keep saying it won't look good on my CV, yet I've never had trouble securing a post.
    I wondered what other people thought? How long have you been at your present school, and how many schools have you worked at? x

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

People move for various reasons from promotion to relocation all the time. It is very rare for a teacher to have been only in one school for the duration of their career, though I do know of one but I am not sure they have remained for positive reasons, more lack of confidence and convenience location wise. I don't think any moves you have made would look at all bad on your CV, especially as most have been for promotive opportunities. It is often a good idea to move to new schools, especially when 'young', footloose and fancy free before you 'settle' later in your career. You take with you all the small learning curves and discreet professional development different settings have given you, and more importantly, someone looks closely at you with fresh eyes thinking about how they can best use your skills.... and as you say, you have had little problem securing posts in the past.