1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Statutory Sick Pay Advice - Can they really stop it?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by donut gal, Jun 18, 2011.

1. I have just received a letter from my employer SSP1 saying that they will no longer paySSP from june as ' you will soon have been getting SSP for 28 weeks or you have had SSP for 28 weeks'. BUT i am working and not off sick.

I am hoping it is a mistake but I also see on the SSP1 that they can stop paying if ' you have been sick on and off for more than 3 years'.............. which I have been , since 2006 with the same condition. I am worried that when i phone them up on Monday ( why do these things always come on a Saturday so you can't do anything about it !) they are going to say that because I have taken time off sick over the last few years that they are going to stop my entitlement to sick pay. My other half says that SSP is payable for 28 weeks per tax year and I am sure that my teachers pay and conditions say you get 28 weeks and then the rest of the year on half pay or something like that.

Can anyone put my mind at rest ?

I had 5 weeks off work before christmas 2010 - 17/11-22/12
    1 week off 29/3-2/4 2010 - that was for flu so not related to my ongoing condition.
    9 weeks off end of 26th MAy to July 24th 2008
    5 weeks off December 2006

Apart from those times which were obviously certificated I have had 20 odd days off since September 2006 until now.

thank you --- just worried at the moment.

2. I have just received a letter from my employer SSP1 saying that they will no longer paySSP from june as ' you will soon have been getting SSP for 28 weeks or you have had SSP for 28 weeks'. BUT i am working and not off sick.

I am hoping it is a mistake but I also see on the SSP1 that they can stop paying if ' you have been sick on and off for more than 3 years'.............. which I have been , since 2006 with the same condition. I am worried that when i phone them up on Monday ( why do these things always come on a Saturday so you can't do anything about it !) they are going to say that because I have taken time off sick over the last few years that they are going to stop my entitlement to sick pay. My other half says that SSP is payable for 28 weeks per tax year and I am sure that my teachers pay and conditions say you get 28 weeks and then the rest of the year on half pay or something like that.

Can anyone put my mind at rest ?

I had 5 weeks off work before christmas 2010 - 17/11-22/12
    1 week off 29/3-2/4 2010 - that was for flu so not related to my ongoing condition.
    9 weeks off end of 26th MAy to July 24th 2008
    5 weeks off December 2006

Apart from those times which were obviously certificated I have had 20 odd days off since September 2006 until now.

thank you --- just worried at the moment.

3. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

You are confusing SSP (Statutory Sick Pay) with the teachers' Occupational Sick Pay.
    SSP is the State sickness provision for any workers. It tops up Occupational sick pay when that reduces to half or ceases or pays out immediately if there is no employer scheme.

4. Thank you for answering. Still confused though as to why SSP is being stopped .

.... ??????

5. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Illorinjured/DG_10018786
    This gives you the low-down.
    SSP does not apply initially for those whose employers operate an occupational scheme (mentioned lower in the link) and it also states that some employers don't operate the SSP through their books or the employee may have used up their 28 week entitlement. In those cases you get a form from the employer to apply for the new ESA (Employment Support Allowance) but that would on ly apply to teachers once they went onto half pay whilst ill.
    Perhaps your school/LA is opting out of being the unpaid processor of SSP?

6. I have read the article but am still confused as to why is should apply to me......... I am not off sick and have not had 28 weeks off sick. ?? oh well :(

7. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

perhaps everyone has been informed aboutchanges to how the employer deals with SSPfrom now on.

8. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

I would contact your Union (at regional or higher level) on Monday to ask for professional advice...

9. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

As well as your union check with the human rights and equality commission. It may be that if you have an ongoing medical condition you are covered by the equality act and they could have recorded any disability related absences separtately and their actions may be discriminatory.