1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Statutory RE in Independent Schools - help

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by carrabass, Apr 11, 2016.

1. carrabass

carrabass New commenter

Help! I've been given the task of setting up a new RE curriculum for September 2016 in an independent SEN school in the Midlands. Can anybody point me in the direction of the current legislation concerning RE in independent schools, so I can find out what the statutory requirements are?

Stephen Baker

2. Sir Cumference

Sir Cumference Occasional commenter

3. carrabass

carrabass New commenter

4. jerseyperson

jerseyperson New commenter

I don't even know that there IS a statutory requirement for independent schools to do RE. If someone can point me to evidence to the contrary I'd be grateful. I researched it a few months ago in response to students complaining that other schools weren't even offering RS as a GCSE option, let alone forcing students to take it (as we were).

carrabass likes this.
  5. carrabass

carrabass New commenter

That jibes with what I thought. The legislation talks a lot about academies and funded schools, but doesn't seem to mention independent schools directly. Thanks for your support.

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

There's no statutory requirement for RE to be taught in private schools, it's only compulsory in state-funded schools.

DfE guidance on RE in LA schools might be useful.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/190260/DCSF-00114-2010.pdf

You should be able to get hold of the RE Agreed Syllabus from the LA in which you are geographically located. It's not usually a secret document only available to LA schools. Probably on the LA website. That might give you a good starting point.

carrabass likes this.
  7. carrabass

carrabass New commenter

Awesome. Thanks to you, and everyone who's helped with this!