1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Statutory policies?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Rott Weiler, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

AFAIK the only statutory policies that must be reviewed annually are Performance Management and Pay, and if you are your own admissions authority, Admissions Policy. Additionally GB Committees - membership and Terms of Reference - and any other GB delegations (although these aren't strictly speaking policies). Additionally you might find that your LA financial procedures rules require you to review some finance policies annually, which in effect makes them compulsory. My LA requires annual review of Charging and Remissions Policy and Lettings Policy - why only those two I've no idea!
    Safeguarding Policy isn't required by law to be reviewed annually, although as Ofsted appear to think that annual review is expected practice most GBs treat it as if annual review were compulsory.
    It would be nice if DfE published a handy list of annually renewable polices but they don't.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Siorry, I forgot one, the Currculum Policy must also be reviewed annually [per paragraph 8 of The Education (School Government) (Terms of Reference) (England) Regulations 2000]

3. Second that...why can't they just publish what they want? Mind you the telpathy required when dealing with the DfE. was taken to new heights for me this year. I was having some work done on an outside area that had been condemned by Ofsted and I asked the DfE what they would like us to do in order to bring the area up to their standards. They replied that we should do the work and then they would approve it or otherwise. I pointed out to them that this was £50,000 of work and I would quite like assurance that we had embarked upon something that would meet with their approval or at least under their guidance...but nooooooo..that would have been too helpful.