1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Statutory maternity pay and NQT year

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Teachy-teach21, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Hi,

if you could help me or give me advice that would be excellent! I am finishing my NQT year next month and wanted to ask whether our NQT year was counted as continuous employment together with the year after. I want to know if I'm eligible for statutory maternity pay and for that I need to have been working 26 weeks before the 15 week cut off, I will have been working for more than that if our NQT year is taken into account. I have rang and researched and someone from HMRC have said that they will need to get someone to ring me back because they are not sure and ACAS helpline say that it is included and it should be fine, just need a bit of guidance with this please!

Thanks in advance!!

2. emilyfordham

emilyfordham New commenter

If you are working in the same school (and therefore the same LA), and have been for the whole year, then yes it definitely counts. You are employed by the school and therefore it is continuous employment. You could use the governments maternity calculator to check if you wanted some reassurance. I am due October this year and started my NQT year September 2014. I qualify for SMP but not the Burgundy Book (extra teacher's maternity pay). You may qualify for the Burgundy Book depending on when your due date is. Hope that helps!!

3. emma-worgan

emma-worgan New commenter

I've just seen your post. Can I ask why you didn't qualify for the burgundy book during maternity leave? As you will have been working for 1 year by that point? Thanks.