1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Statutory Induction increased to two years

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by welshwizard, May 10, 2018.

1. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The consultation on Strengthening QTS has reported and the induction period for NQTs will be increased to 2 years.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consu...ign=govuk-notifications&utm_content=immediate

An Early Career Framework will be created to devise the content of induction. Mentor role to be enhanced and another push for more CPD . The report is rather thin on issues such as funding the release time, the cost of CPD and whether in a recruitment crisis its a good idea anyway!
    Pity part time NQTs when induction spread over even a longer period and what about NQTs leaving schools after one year and still having to finish induction! Still, I suppose experienced teachers can look forward to sabbaticals.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

When I trained many many years ago in Scotland we had 2 years probation(induction).

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Too many NQTs are leaving in despair after just one year. They stick it out for a year to get the qualification in case they can ever face going back to the classroom. Increase the probation period and you might get more out of them. But then those who aren't happy might just think that, while it's worth sticking it out for a year, two is just too much and you could end up losing more sooner.

4. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

In general I would say a year should be long enough. In some circumstances - for example where an NQT gets insufficient support and has to change schools - a longer period might be suitable. Maybe more flexibility is needed.

Northern_Miss, Lara mfl 05 and Jamvic like this.
  5. NotAPowerRanger

NotAPowerRanger New commenter

If combined with being able to "retake" NQT then I wouldn't object. Extra PPA for another year PLUS less stress? Yes please.

However, the stress of having to pass 6 terms whilst hoping not to get screwed over by some immoral SLT bully might just put even more people off teaching.

Overall, IMHO, the current NQT process isn't fit for purpose and I don't see this making things any better.

6. strive2

strive2 New commenter

Hi, Welsh Wizard and all,

Please, can you help? I understand that Induction can only be completed if you are employed as a teacher in a school/schools. However, can a UK teacher apply for an advertised one day a week teaching position (primary) and then volunteer on the application form to work an extra one day/ one and a half days a week if the school considered them for Induction? I would be employed by the school.

Teaching hasn’t been kind to me. I'm now a mature NQT and feel lucky to start my Induction. I genuinely want a position that fills my passion for wanting to work with children, my big employment gap and my pension pot for the next thirteen years.

The old sixteen-month supply teaching rule applied to me. I searched in vain for NQT positions then was thrown on the scrapheap as I had been unemployed for the following three years and eight months so the new five-year rule was of no use to me. Unemployed ever since so I have seven years with no national insurance stamp paid and there's no return to teaching courses happening any time soon. In hindsight, I could have volunteered; however, I have done this for over five years in the past, a wonderful small faith school in which my children attended, and felt that tutoring, researching and keeping up to date with the New National Curriculum would benefit me more...

I look forward to your answer.

Thank you for you're time.

7. Lalaland05

Lalaland05 New commenter

When will this start?

8. welshwizard

It is currently under development- it will not affect anyone currently training. The expectation was that it would be introduced from 2020 so anyone on ITT in that academic year 2020-21 will have a 2 year induction. It is not certain whether the DfE will still go ahead with it as there was considerable opposition. There is certainly a cost issue for schools - unlikely to be met by any "additional extras" from Mr Hammond!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

This is back to front. For years I have thought the problem was trainees moving to employment too soon. Far better, in my opinion, for the first year of employment to be supported by the training university, so in effect two years to QTS.

Too many schools barely do nqt induction in a meaningful way, I have never been convinced that it served a useful purpose.

Make it a two year course, first year for pgce, second year for QTS. Two years as nqt in schools does not solve the problem which exists.

patternandsurface and peter12171 like this.
  10. welshwizard

DfE have already rejected altering QTS. QTS is awarded at the end of ITT and the consultation confirms this will continue to be the case.