1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Statutory framework

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Camokidmommy, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Could someone clarify if academies are to follow the statutory framework for eyfs? I know this seems a bonkers question but I think we do (p3/4 refers to independent schools, including academies and free schools).

I believe I am right, we have to, it's statutory! Please tell me I'm not going nuts - or maybe I am!

Thanks

2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

It's statutory. Schools can apply for exemptions to some or all learning and development requirements, and there is a process for that. Steiner schools often apply for exemptions, as do some independent school but there are criteria they have to meet. Not many do in my experience because the eyfs is broad enough to cater for most schools philosophy
    There are no exemptions to the safeguarding and welfare requirements, or for children under 3, even if there are exemptions for older children

It's not a bonkers question. Of course how they teach it is a matter for them.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I should expect that academies have to, yes.
    We do in our independent, Ofsted inspect EYFS and the LA moderate our judgements at the end of Reception.

4. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Thank you. That was what I understood.