1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage published

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Msz, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Msz

Msz Established commenter

2. May2

May2 Occasional commenter

Where is the new dev. matters or is that not out yet?

3. The only obvious thing that I note is the changing of 6 areas for learning to 7 and splitting them so that there are the 3 'prime' areas and then the 4 other areas. So have the EYFS learning goals changed from 69 to just nine under 'specific areas' as the new EYFSP is not included with this summary? Ecuse me as I am new to EYFS! Thanks.

4. I've been checking online for this for the last 2 weeks so i could try and get ahead of the game!!! but there is no FS profile to look at yet:(

5. Thanks Msz shame the second paragraph reads 'The new EYFS, which will take effect from 1 September 2012, focuses on getting children ready for education.....'
    So education doesn't start before they are in a setting!

6. Msz

School readiness [​IMG]

7. sorry 17 not 9- so will these make up the scale points?

8. As far as I have seen (from reading consultation documents and the original suggestions), it looks as though there will only be development matters in the prime areas. So far, I've not found any dev matters in the specific areas.
    Am awaiting training from LA on this. Does this mean that nursery will no longer be teaching maths? Or should we start looking at strands in the "emerging" section of the early learning goals assessments?

9. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

If you click on the link given above, you will see that the development matters still covers all the areas not just the prime areas.

10. [​IMG]
    Have now got the link to work. That's really helpful. Thank you.

11. Development matters are all there but are non-statutory. Only the goals are mandatory. They have changed the wording. The age bands are the same. Instead of being under the headings 'development matters' look listen and note' etc. they are under 'A unique child (OBSERVING WHAT A CHILD IS LEARNING)', 'positive relationships(WHAT ADULTS COULD DO' and 'enabling environments (WHAT ADULTS COULD PROVIDE' .

12. Also (managed to post the above by mistake). I am concerned that only the goals are mandatory. This will allow more formal settings and less well informed staff to plan entirely to the goals rather than using the more appropriate 'development matters'. Plus it is now entirely up to the practitioner as to how much time is spent on adult led and child initiated learning although there is some advice to say play is essential.

13. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

Well, this may be slightly anal, but I've been through the first 3 "prime areas" looking at the statements in the 8 new ELGs and they can be subdivided into at least 28 different statements. Unless the new Eyeprofile is going to do this for us, it looks like we may have to have a paper-based system that allows to show achievement of parts of the ELGs.

14. we have been recently moderated and during our chat with the La she explained there is no eyeprofile. Instead it is some form of tick sheet which practitioners will fill in to say how many children out of their cohort have achieved the ELGs. There is no numerical data as such like the eyeprofile, although their will be some form of computer based form to fill in to allow for analysis. That was how I interpreted it anyway. We currently use an A3 sheet which we highlight during the three terms in reception showing progression. Was hoping to create one of these for the new framework but struggling to find a starting point. Does anyone have any ideas?

15. Msz

There will be a profile in the autumn

16. So no chance of getting to know it before we begin baseline!

17. Msz

The EYFS requires that all children are assessed in the summer term of their reception year. This assessment is called the EYFS Profile. In autumn 2012, the Standards and Testing Agency (STA), an executive agency of the Department for Education, will publish the EYFS Profile Handbook, which is designed to support teachers and other professionals to undertake EYFS Profile assessments. The Handbook will be supported by exemplification material, which offers a point of reference to help teachers and other professionals to make accurate judgements about each child's level of attainment.

18. Miss Piggywig

Miss Piggywig New commenter

Isn't all of this going to make tracking so much harder? I've only just got SMT to understand the basic's about FSP points.