1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"Statistics" : The average age of death of a teacher...!?!?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jimmo, Feb 23, 2004.

1. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

The C of E would probably welcome you with open arms, ElaineC.

2. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Presumably a number of the original posters in this 12 year old thread are now dead :eek:

3. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

I wonder how many "likes" a long-dead poster can acquire before the site implodes?:D

Lara mfl 05 and Didactylos4 like this.
  4. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I remember them from 40 years ago.

5. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18952037

"In looking for examples of the claim that average life expectancy at retirement for certain professions is only 18 months, More or Less found that teachers are repeat offenders in claiming this.

"I'm not sure why teachers would expect to have short life expectancy," says Grimshaw. "They are an above average social economic group. Office for National Statistics data would suggest that teachers and similar groups to them would have over 18 years to live at age 65 [for men]."

It would appear that the original claim of average survival of just 18 months was a good, old-fashioned typo!

emerald52 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  7. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Thanks, I thought it was a bit odd.

8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I retired at 57. I'm now 60. So I have only 15 years left. Oh. OK.

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

My dad retired from teaching when he was 57

He's now 81 !

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  10. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

There were some statistics a while ago that came from an audit of the teachers pension scheme. It found a fairly direct correlation between length of retirement and seniority of position.

HT's lasted the shortest time, Deputies 2nd shortest down to people who retired as ordinary classroom teachers who had the longest retirements of all.

11. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

My dad retired as a Headteacher at aged 56 yrs and is about to celebrate his 91st birthday! He's been in receipt of an index-linked pension for longer than he was in teaching.

The BBC link that I gave goes on to say.
    "
    Even that cheering news (that life expectancy is more like 18 years after retirement) is almost certainly an underestimate, because it is based on current mortality figures, and life expectancy is increasing all the time. Grimshaw says teachers and other professionals are likely to have closer to 25 or even 30 years left in them at 65.

So next time a teacher tells you, resignedly, that they work so hard they can expect to survive only 18 months after retirement, point out that their pessimism is based on a myth. Where that leaves their pensions, however, is another matter."

12. grumpydogwoman

Hurrah!!!! ;)

emerald52 and Mangleworzle like this.
  13. Mangleworzle

Good for him, though I suspect he is a statistical outlier, getting out at 56 probably helped too.

The 18 months average was always nonsense, though I do know of teachers who didn't last long, the most tragic being one who had a heart attack and died on a school bus as school was breaking up for summer, his very last day before retirement.

The thing is as individuals, averages isn't so useful, my ambition is not to be a statistical outlier at the wrong end of the bell curve.

14. grumpydogwoman

Oddly enough. My FiL (ex) lasted less than 2 years.

15. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

There's a deal of life in this thread considering it died some 12 years ago.

16. Mangleworzle

It's a statistical outlier - in a good way.

emerald52, kibosh and Didactylos4 like this.
  17. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

Thread For xmal.

18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I must have been reincarnated two years ago.

19. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

This thread's been reincarnated twice!

I already posted this but it didn't appear.

20. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

Every few years a new group about to retire worry they only have 18 months to live.