1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"Statistics" : The average age of death of a teacher...!?!?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jimmo, Feb 23, 2004.

1. At least at my age I wouldn't risk discovery like she was discovered!

I resemble one of our local female clergy. A few months ago (before I had met her) I was grabbed in the market by an old lady and asked if I would come and say prayer at their tea meeting which was going on in the local council offices. Game for anything, I agreed, made up a prayer said it and was thanked profusely. Later they discovered their mistake and said, "We'd never have known you said such a lovely prayer!"

I have since met the reverend lady who laughed at the story and assures me there is no penalty for impersonating a CofC clergywoman! I made a jokey remark about needing a job which was when I discovered the age bar.

Of course belief in God might help.....

2. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

I think you're allowed doubts. If you could get to 95% disbelief, 5% hmm I wonder, it might be worth it.

Was Pope Joan real btw?

jomaimai likes this.
  3. Bluenose's link offers hope for those who will be in a position to retire at 50-60.

As for those of us who will have to work until 65,are there any stats on that?

I'mnot even on the property ladder yet and as I am only training and am 30 years old, I have a lot of catch up to do on my pension!

Or shall I get a job in McDonalds?

4. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

You can always freeze your pension at whenever you leave teaching and still go to work in MacDonalds. I think you can still collect at 60 but it will be reduced but not by more than 10%.

5. The problem with retiring at 50 is you may pop it by 53 or 54.Therefore, by working till you're 60 and dying when your 63 you actually get to live 10 years longer than you would under the new system. Also, if you retire at 50 and don't get your pension until,say,55, you don't have chance to enjoy it because you may have died 2 years earlier. So a system needs to be put in place where you have the option to retire at 50 but you receive your pension when you're about 44 in case you die at 54 thus giving you chance to enjoy it!

jomaimai likes this.
  6. Does anyone know the source of these stats though?

They could be out of date.

But if teaching is more stressfull than it was, say 30 years ago, then our spouses could be in for an early inheritance.

7. Been wondering about the average life expectancy of a recently retired police dog? Do we take into account the
    1 dog year to seven human years? Wish I'd listened in Maths lessons when I was in school.

jomaimai likes this.
  8. Oh dear! I am a teacher and my husband is an air traffic controller so where does that leave us?! I don't realise how stressed I and all my colleagues are until I go back the day after the summer holidays and we all look ten years younger!!I have too much to do to be inconvenienced by an early demise so I will keep in mind the old saying of'lies, damned lies and statistics'

9. Do spouses collect anything from pensions?

I have to live long enough to wear purple and eat sausages though, not to mention a few other things that the poet never thought of.

My 'girlfriends' and I are planning to move en-masse into retirement flats in the same block and take up serious smoking and drinking, and not least the toyboy swapping. The only problem I see is that we have to dispose of the spouses first!

Nanny Ogg likes this.
  10. Great idea 'ms phys' My friends and I are considering investing in an old folks home with a liquor licence. Sure would brighten up the long days sitting in a circle watching daytime TV!!

11. Can I join too? I could bring along the drugs!

12. I'm afraid Pope Joan is a myth. Carol Adams is real, though. I met her in Swindon once. She seemed very nice.

13. Alarming. Hmmmmm, but if you are going to die then you are going to die. So why spend the time you have left worrying.

14. stevevboy

stevevboy New commenter

Teaching is still currently ranked number 4 in the UK as the most stressful Job, compared to the US we simply do not look after public sector workers. However teaching is a great job - but I think now myself in light of recent health we has teachers need to be more realistic, and plan more of a work - life balance.

15. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Some names of 'old' posters here on this thread from 2004, sadly missed for one reason or another: ElaineC, ilovesooty, ArchedEyebrow, Andy_91 & others.

catmother and lanokia like this.
  16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Andy_91 popped up on a thread the other day... I think he said he was on twitter these days.

FrankWolley likes this.
  17. inky

inky Lead commenter

Sorry, but are you telling us a fact or that a question?

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

It's been 12 years... you might be waiting a while for a reply. ;)

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  19. EllisCarver

EllisCarver Established commenter

Why did you or your work colleagues take a job that meant you would be dead before 64?
    (Its an urban legend of course)

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

People do know that post was written when Tony Blair was PM yes?

FrankWolley and aspensquiver_2 like this.