1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Statistics Query - Access Course

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by chaos123, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Hi,

I need some advice! I'm teaching an Access course, mainly statistics. The specification states "Know and understand how to conduct a questionnaire study and an observational study using appropriate terms."

We have covered questionaires, and now move on to observational studies.

Can anyone enlighten me on a precise definition of observational studies? Can anyone recommend any useful resources, as I am struggling to find anything of use?

Opinions/advice welcome!

Thanks,

2. Hi,

I need some advice! I'm teaching an Access course, mainly statistics. The specification states "Know and understand how to conduct a questionnaire study and an observational study using appropriate terms."

We have covered questionaires, and now move on to observational studies.

Can anyone enlighten me on a precise definition of observational studies? Can anyone recommend any useful resources, as I am struggling to find anything of use?

Opinions/advice welcome!

Thanks,

3. Yes, busy googling, but was hoping for some guidance as I am drowning in definitions!

4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I would say it was gathering data by observation - for example, counting the number of people in queue, measuring the length of limpet shells on the beach, or observing the amount of time between accidents on the motorway.
    Just guessing though.

5. Guish

Guish New commenter

You use it when you can't use a random sample which is the perfect scenario for sampling. As you'd probably know, randomization frees us from bias.

That wiki link explains it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observational_study