1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stations of the Cross for Early Years (FULL VERSION)

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by natt180, Apr 1, 2011.

1. natt180

natt180 New commenter

Hi sorry I accidentally submitted an unfinished post this is the finished question
    Hello,
    Next week my school is having a easter learning day. The theme is the stations of the cross. I'm in reception class and we have been appointed the first 2 stations which are
    Jesus is condemmed to death
    Jesus bears his cross
    We have to present a final piece to share with the rest of the school at the end of the day. I guess what I'm asking is if what I have planned to do sounds ok as I've never led this type of activity before.
    I was thinking of beginning the day with a circle time where I would begin by reading the children a simplified child friendly account of the 2 stations supported with images. Then we would talk abit about how Jesus might have felt
    How would you feel if this happened to you?
    This happened to Jesus
    Jesus had God to help him (so that it links in with ststion 2)
    Then our circle time would begin with me modelling a sentence beginning with
    I AM SAD WHEN . . . . . . . . . (and I'll pass a cross around so that the children can join in)
    While they are responding we will be collecting their answers.
    The follow up activities will be
    To represent Station 1
    Jesus is condemmed to Death
    A gp of children will paint a large sad face and we will attach their responses to what makes them sad around the face (good idea????)
    Activity to represent station 2
    Jesus Bears his Cross
    How do Gods kind hands make you feel?
    Help you?
    Activity will consist of the children drawing around their hands cutting them out and there will be a selection of words with pictures to represent that word laminated around the table for them to choose from or they can choose their own to write or draw on to their hand.
    How does this sound it's all a bit heavy going for 4 and 5 year olds does this sound like a good plan? Any suggestions will be greatly received.
    Thank you in advance

2. Eeek! Giving a reception class this kind of activity makes me quite uncomfortable. I mean asking them how they would feel being condemned to death?!? Is there no way you can get perhaps a more 'friendly' station? If you had when Simon carries the cross or even Veronica you could discuss friendship (we're taking a very liberal reading here!), team work (like i said VERY LIBERAL) etc.

If you are stuck with these stations, I think it's going to be quite tough going with out having a class full of traumatised kids.