1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Stationery

Discussion in 'Primary' started by grasshopper2000, Feb 8, 2019.

1. grasshopper2000

grasshopper2000 Occasional commenter

Does anyone else have to buy their own stationery? I.e. board pens, post it notes, pens for marking etc?

pepper5 likes this.
  2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Some, but only because I like pretty colour board pens and schools have normal colour ones.
    I also like lined post its, so sometimes buy those myself if I don't manage to sneak it past office staff. In a great many schools, I've been found out. ;)
    Not pens for marking once they stopped letting you pick your own colours. In the olden days, I used to get a huge pack with multiple shades of all kinds of colours for my birthday just before the start of the Autumn term.

I buy sharpies when they are on an amazing offer in WHSmiths, but not so much now I teach little ones. Permanent markers and 3 year olds don't really mix. :eek:

pepper5 likes this.
  3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I hate the school punched pockets so buy my own. We get the thin matt ones with the holes that rip, I like the heavyweight, glossy ones with the coloured reinforced strip so buy my own.

( I'm also having a fountain pen period-cult pens are practically on speed dial!)

pepper5 likes this.
  4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Oh I miss the stationery!
    In the old days I used to do the ordering - I loved it.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I quite often rummage through the ESPO catalogue to cheer myself up!

pepper5 likes this.
  6. grasshopper2000

grasshopper2000 Occasional commenter

Sorry I've just realised I may not have been clear. I meant out of your own pocket. My school has no stationery cupboard and no budget to order anything. I have nothing left in my classroom (I took over the class with nothing there) and so I am now having to go shoping this weekend to buy what I need.

pepper5 likes this.
  7. stressed.kath

stressed.kath New commenter

Not in this school but have had to buy my own things in other schools including the books we use for literacy lessons, staplers, scissors, resources for science/DT etc etc etc.

pepper5 likes this.
  8. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We got carried away by thoughts of post its and highlighters!

You really shouldn't be buying basic stationery items, tell your Head/Key stage leader that you simply can't do your job without something being done. We are on a spending lockdown for the next six weeks but even so, essentials are allowed through.Put out a plea at the next staff meeting, you will have at least one stationery hoarder somewhere in school! But most teachers I know supplement what is available with things they covet!

pepper5 likes this.
  9. caterpillartobutterfly

Cult pens??????

CarrieV likes this.
  10. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

It's a website ( honest!) They sell all sorts of pens, pencils, pen pots, the lot! And you get a packet of Haribos with every order!

pepper5 likes this.
  11. caterpillartobutterfly

Ohhhh dear.

If they arrive in half term, then OH won't need to know will he? :oops:

pepper5 likes this.
  12. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Don't do it. Tell the HT that your class will not be completing any written work, because there is nothing to do it with.

13. caterpillartobutterfly

I buy things I 'like' out of my own pocket. But schools have always bought what I 'need'.

When I get some new things (love having a birthday just before the autumn term starts) I might 'donate' the old pens, etc for general classroom use. But I definitely wouldn't be buying stationery for children to use.

14. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I can't honestly believe this goes on. How have schools managed their budgets so poorly that this happens? I work in what has historically been one of the lowest funded LAs but I couldn't comprehend the idea of not having things like pens bought when needed.

15. afterdark

afterdark Occasional commenter

Schools tend to buy cra.p.py pens for marking. Not all but many do. My marking speed can greatly accelerated by buying my own smooth flowing marking pens. The money comes out of my own pocket.

Once, whilst on long term supply, I worked in a school that had no textbooks or exercise books. I bought a program online that made worksheets. The school kindly let me copy as much as I needed.
    The software I paid for with my own money.

If you do these things for your own benefit then isn't that the same as any other reason that you spend money on yourself?

You can rail against the system if you like. In my experience this sledoms yeilds any posititve results.

But guard what you buy, there are far too many people who think they have some devine right to lay claim to anything that isn't nailed down. These cheapskates will try to justify their behaviour with comments like "you shouldn't have brought your own property into school". The worst will say "I thought it was mine", even though they have never own such and/or it is slathered in your name.

There was a nice shop in York that made custom press stamps for ink pads.

Hurray! just googled it, still there on google.

Sorry for the blatent plug

Make Your Mark
    26 Goodramgate, York YO1 7LG, UK

Sadly no money in this shout out (not for me anyways) ...

pepper5 likes this.
  16. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Present the head teacher with the receipts and ask for a refund. If refused, put the stuff back in your bag and ask for advice on how to teach without basic resources. Maybe the school has a secret supply of slates and chalk in the head's office!

bajan, pepper5 and lardylady like this.
  17. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Completely different. I can understand why people may prefer to buy their own pens for marking (I wouldn't do that), but buying exercise books, etc? My sister works in a school kitchen. She cooks the food, but she certainly doesn't buy it.

18. afterdark

afterdark Occasional commenter

Post 17.
    Er... I'd say no to books, I'd photocopy a library book instead or printout of a free onlne pdf. But I have worked with those that would buy such things as a set of student resources.

I can generalise this to don't buy what you can source elsewhere for free.

Post 17.
    It may be different to you, I am totally OK with that but I'll if you ask to borrow my stuff the answer is "no way".
    I didn't advocate buying books, I would have thought that my post made that clear from the photocopier bit. If you were referring to another post perhaps you should have quoted that post as well as mine LL.

Post 16.
    Good advice, if you can get in to see the HT.

If you ever buy your own stuff then you resourceful.

Post 14

Well various things go on
    HT cover stuff up
    HT make do, they
    HT is unaware of the problem
    the School or other education establishment is provided with shy.te pens, but when asked they hold up an invoice for umpteen thousand cheapo pens from bodgenscarpers (This is another legacy of Thatcher, "cost efficiency" was the buzz phrase)

Finally have a look at images of the rulers below. This is what happens when the government abolishes the mechanisms which maintains quality and safety of school supplies in the name of "cost efficiency". I've seen this stuff in the UK myself. I had to check every ruler with a high quality ruler (that I had to buy myself, of course).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dunnocks likes this.
  19. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Not really sure what point you're trtitrto make. You seem to be backing up some people's points whilst simultaneously arguing with them.

You certainly seem to agree with me that for a budget to be so horrendously bad that a school can't buy pens then there is some incredibly poor management going on. I've never come across any issues with the rulers we have, so can't comment on that part.

pepper5 likes this.
  20. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

yes. and I really hate it. so far this year I have spent approx:

£25 board markers
    £5 pens in the colour I need to mark in
    £15 class set of glue sticks
    £4 cellotape
    £30 on two large heavy duty staplers for my classroom
    £3 staples
    £3 treasury tags
    £3 paper clips
    £2 blu tak
    £2 drawing pins

total £92 stationary

more than that on basic science equipment, magnets and so on

and yet more again on after school clubs.

Its crazy when you stop and add it up, but the school provision is pathetic. If I wish to use a school stapler I am required to carry all my stapling to the library, down two floors and up two floors in the next building

But it isn't just the money, I object to, its the time it takes to staple things. If I am doing class set it takes the whole of break time.

pepper5 likes this.