1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stationery Issues

Discussion in 'Primary' started by inq, Apr 2, 2011.

1. inq

inq

What year group are you in?

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I am of the strong opinion that each class has it's own Black Hole where pens, pencils, rubbers and especially whiteboard pens simply enter and never return. Floating around the edge are blu-tac and paperclips, whereas gluestick lids proliferate!

3. I'm in year 5 :)

4. I have separate boxes for each table with whiteboards, pens and erasers in. At the end of each of the lessons that these have been used in I check they have the right number for the table and only dismiss the table when they've found any missing ones.

5. Hi,
    We have the same problem!! But it is much improved since starting the Investors in Pupils initiative: As part of it, we looked at the budget that we receive as a school and showed the kids how this breaks down i.e. we showed them how much we get overall, how much is spent on staffing, heating, insurance etc. Then showed them the pitiful amount we have left for resources! Made a pie chart to make it visual. Then the classes had to work out how much things cost e.g. a pencil is 6.5p, a ruler is 20p, paper towels are 10 for 4p etc. I won't say that it has solved the problem completely but the children do seem to try and take more care of things...I even overheard one telling another off for drawing on a whiteboard because "it wastes the ink and we don't have money to just keep buying them!"
    Maybe something along these lines might help - you could do a mini-project with Y5? x

6. Must be time to break out 'Scissors' by Allan Ahlberg. That man is a genius.

http://bestuff.com/stuff/please-mrs-butlerallan-ahlberg

7. thegoose

thegoose New commenter

My year 6 children provide their own pens/pencils. We were worried that parents would object so we told them it was to develop independence and responsibility in preparation for secondary school. No more lost equipment as it is their own stuff! We do provide 'spares' if necessary.

8. I am a bit of a stationery control freak and would have a twitchy eye if I had Year 5s who didn't have tidy resources!
    I think they need a stern chat about how you expect the resources to be left after a lesson. Clear consequences for eating/losing pencils etc. e.g. don't let them go out to play until each group has put everything back where it was! Rewards for the table or group who have the most organised and spangly pencil pots.
    An opportunity for those children who want to help (there's always children who are desperate to be helpful) to be pencil monitors or whatever title you chose.
    Try not to start buying your own resources. It is a very expensive route. Good luck!

9. Thinkyouve answered your own problem in that you arent on top of this daily or even lesson by lesson youre hoping that whatever system you put in place will work without extra input. It wont you need to have checking system after every lesson to ensure all remain in tact and the other advice given re getting children onboard will help but still need to stay on top of it all the time

10. I have never mastered it. My year 3 must literally eat the stationery. I did have a class one year when resources never went astray but this year, this class has been horrendous. It too have counted, labelled them and nothing has worked. I've tried keeping them in until all 30 pencils are back in the pot but even then they didn't reappear.

I think that parents should provided the basics. Mine did and it didn't do me any harm. I certainly had to look after them.
    As for "can't afford it" speech. I doubt it. Play stations Wii etc are much more expensive. Surely a pencil, biro and rubber are not that expensive.

11. All our KS2 children have to bring in their own pencil cases, amazing how careful they are with their own stuff!

12. A colleague of mine would exchange a pencil for a shoe of the borrower, thus ensuring the return of the pencil when the bell rang for the next lesson- he found it effective, as I do!

13. I remember one occasion when our eco-committee did a rubbish audit with the caretaker's help and unveiled the results in school assembly.
    The look of horror and audible exclamations of disgust from several colleagues when the fact that, on one evening's rubbish they'd found something like five pencil sharpeners and 10 rubbers thrown away was marked.

14. Thank you all for some great replies.
    Love the idea about swapping pens etc for a shoe :)
    Acceb :)