1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stating a students' book club - any advice?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by nolu, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Evening all,

I have also posted this in English, but I thought the book club regulars might also have some thoughts...

Last week I accepted an English teaching post at a high performing girls' grammar school. In my interview one of the questions was what extra curricular activities I would be willing/able to run. I have had a very ambitious but I think marvellous idea and I don't know if anyone on here has done something similar at their schools...

I would like to run a book club - like a reading group. In fact I would like to run 2 (one for years 7-9, another for years 10-13), run on alternative weeks during the school term. Basically I would select the texts for the first 2 meetings (4 texts in total) after which the other members would suggest a book that they would like the other group members to read, so that each fortnight the group reads a book put forward by one of their peers.

The main problems I can forsee are:
    1. Getting hold of possibly 15-20 copies of the same text per week (that would work out at over 700 books per year)
    2. Paying for them!
    3. Getting rid of them once they've been read
    4. Ordering the books far enough in advance to distribute them on time

I am thinking of approaching Waterstones in the local town to see if they do some sort of discount for bulk orders, and maybe hand the books to Waterstones Marketplace once they've been read to cut down on costs, however there is no denying this will be an expensive project. I don't think it's fair to ask school kids to buy possibly 3 books a term, especially as the school isn't in a particularly wealthy area, so I would want it to be as cheap for them to access as possible.

If anyone has had any experiences of setting up a club like this I would be interested to hear how you got the money, how much support you had from your school/dept, and how well it worked.

I'm hopeful that if I do this properly I may be onto a winner :eek:)

Cheers for your input

2. Evening all,

I have also posted this in English, but I thought the book club regulars might also have some thoughts...

Last week I accepted an English teaching post at a high performing girls' grammar school. In my interview one of the questions was what extra curricular activities I would be willing/able to run. I have had a very ambitious but I think marvellous idea and I don't know if anyone on here has done something similar at their schools...

I would like to run a book club - like a reading group. In fact I would like to run 2 (one for years 7-9, another for years 10-13), run on alternative weeks during the school term. Basically I would select the texts for the first 2 meetings (4 texts in total) after which the other members would suggest a book that they would like the other group members to read, so that each fortnight the group reads a book put forward by one of their peers.

The main problems I can forsee are:
    1. Getting hold of possibly 15-20 copies of the same text per week (that would work out at over 700 books per year)
    2. Paying for them!
    3. Getting rid of them once they've been read
    4. Ordering the books far enough in advance to distribute them on time

I am thinking of approaching Waterstones in the local town to see if they do some sort of discount for bulk orders, and maybe hand the books to Waterstones Marketplace once they've been read to cut down on costs, however there is no denying this will be an expensive project. I don't think it's fair to ask school kids to buy possibly 3 books a term, especially as the school isn't in a particularly wealthy area, so I would want it to be as cheap for them to access as possible.

If anyone has had any experiences of setting up a club like this I would be interested to hear how you got the money, how much support you had from your school/dept, and how well it worked.

I'm hopeful that if I do this properly I may be onto a winner :eek:)

Cheers for your input

3. I did this for 2 years with years 10-12. We borrowed books from the school library, the librarian was willing to contribute some money, though it was on a smaller scale than your idea. A few pupils borrowed their copies from the local library and the local librarian was beside herself to have a rush of kids requesting that she order books! My HOD also contributed a little money. Later I ran a reading group for years 8 and 9 where we tracked the Carnegie medal competition, and for this the librarian paid for all the books and we chose our winner just before the actual prize was awarded (google Carnegie Medal and you should be able to find out more). Both groups were great and some of those pupils were inspired to further wider reading and to study English at uni. It helped some of them when writing their personal statements for the ucas form and was just a very good thing in general. Good luck, and enjoy!