1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Static Caravans

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Nellyfuf2, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

A thread for Caravan owners
    We at last made it to our battered old van in God's own country - but while one door failed last year, now we have two that are baggerated. Also a spongy bathroom floor. All very sad. Now we have to go replace hinges (we think that will do it) and reinforce the floor although I will never feel safe on the loo again. The tale of the bathroom floor is dull - leak, fixed, swelling last year, now spongy. It's not the kind of site that has maintenance on hand and the area repairers are not good, local or cheap.
    I suppose its the best problem to have among problems just now.
    How to avoid disappearing into a beck, naked and soapy with an unbelievable story for A and E..............

magic surf bus likes this.
  2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Scrap it would be my advice.

mothorchid and agathamorse like this.
  3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

If you know someone who can do a good job it does not matter where they are located. Enlist them to fix it up and if it takes longer that a day-well-you can provide site accommodation for them, no?
    More importantly, whatever caused these issues will cause them again, so that ought to be a factor in your decision-repair it for own use, or as already suggested, repair it and then ditch it through sale. You don't have to be dishonest to do this.
    You probably do need to repair it though.

Edit-I am pretty sure the previous post said "ditch it" which is what I meant by "previous advice"

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I'd be more worried if the roof was leaking, which is a perennial problem for caravans and camper vans.

Is the bathroom floor made of some kind of chipboard? Damp never gets better on its own, and if it spreads there'll be more than the bathroom floor to replace. Bite the bullet and get it looked at.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Ha, we have the spongy bathroom floor from a leak on the flush pipe, which I fixed last week. *preens*

We now have to pull up the lino and investigate...

The van is only 12 years old and in vgc, so no chance of getting rid.

6. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I would find a good handy person where you live and offer them a free weeks holiday in your caravan for doing the repairs gratis.
    Old style barter system.

7. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I'm half tempted by a static caravan.
    How much do the site charges amount to?

8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Do research the reputation of the site owners. Consumer advice websites and programmes are full of horror stories about some site owners. I'm sure most are not out and out scammers but some are.

I've never owned one but used one that friends owned in Norfolk. Lovely location, first line of caravans on the cliff edge with uninterrupted sea view. Until one year when 6 feet of cliff collapsed in winter gales and all the vans went with it.... :(

Cautionary tale if looking at sites in areas with eroding coastlines.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

We have friends who convinced themselves that this would solve all their holiday problems (They have a dog which limits their options). They owned a top notch van for 8 years on a site on the South coast. They reckoned that when they sold it (To the site owner) because it was now too old for the site they had spent/lost around £80k over the 8 years! They could have had a couple of good holidays per year for that and put the mutt up in some decent kennels as well. Thats without all the hours they spent keeping it looking nice, gardening, cleaning, preparing for winter, re-opening in spring. Half their visits there were for maintenance rather than holidays.

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We've had lots of nice holidays staying in static caravans for a week but I wouldn't like to own one.

11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I can't get excited about static caravans. I just don't find them very moving.

chelsea2, emerald52, sodalime and 7 others like this.
  12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I find them shocking!

13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

You'd be okay with a current model.

14. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I love ours , was 10 years old when we bought it four years ago. We spend two months in it every summer and usually come for a week or so twice a year to pot geraniums and plant tomatoes and herbs. Not possible this year, so using last year's rather etiolated geraniums and buying our toms.

Maintenance isn't too bad. No leaks so far apart from a less than perfect ubend under the sink and a badly-fitting window in one bedroom that we have to tape up in the autumn to avoid small spots of black mold. There's a full- length terrace and a small garden with a hedge that we tend. Adventurous gardening is out because we face west and the winds come mainly from Canada!
    Site fees/ground rent come to roughly 2000€ per annum.

I love mon Petit Trianon. We're well kitted out and I shall never have to put up another awning in my life. We mainly cook for ourselves - always a pleasure in Normandy - and chat with friends. The beach is beautiful and uncrowdable, with trotteurs training at low tide. This is France but I'm sure the same feeling exists in English sites. They're not all laid out in serried barrack-like ranks.

chelsea2, smoothnewt and peakster like this.
  15. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

I've never spent a night in a caravan (static or otherwise) or in a tent in my 60+ years. Doubt I ever will now...;)

And that suits me just fine! :D

Doitforfree likes this.
  16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've spent many nights in both - they are fine. There is nothing quite like looking out of a caravan window when it's pouring down and watching the people next door in a tent getting wet.

I'm not that fond of tents though - mostly this is because of a school trip I went on in Northumberland on activities week. There were four of us (Year 7s) in the tent, one lad snored very loudly and another had really quite bad BO. I'd been camping with Dad before so I was the resident "expert" and had to show the others how to put the tent up and I also did all the cooking.

It rained a lot in the middle of the week and one day we had to trudge quite a long way from one camp site to another after we'd been somewhere in the morning. When we reached the other site (it was still raining) we discovered that someone had left the bag containing all the tent pegs behind (we were also missing a pole). None of the others wanted to do anything about it so I got hold of one of our teachers and we borrowed a couple of bicycles and went back to the other site (it was dark by now). We found the pegs and the pole and then cycled back.

When we got back I discovered the others had gone into various other tents and were all asleep. With the teachers help (I can't remember his name) we pitched our tent and I slept alone that night (it was the best night's sleep I had in the entire week). The following morning when the other came sheepishly back I flatly refused to make them breakfast.

Two nights later it rained again - we were still in the same place but water got in somehow and I woke up soaking wet. The water got into my rucksack as well and I only had a few dry things left for that day. I had to borrow a sweatshirt from one of my form's older sister who was in one of the other tents which was quite embarrassing. Fortunately the Sun then came out and I was able to dry everything the next day.

Still not fond of tents.

nizebaby, Dunteachin and phlogiston like this.
  17. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

A permanent residential static caravan site a half hour drive from us was completely wiped out by fire two days ago. Fortunately no deaths. Overcrowding seems to have been an issue.

18. hplovegame48

hplovegame48 Occasional commenter

After spending two holidays in a caravan as a child, hell would have to freeze over before I did it again.

19. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

Our site fees are less than £2,000 and we do use our van a lot but it's unique and I suspect - on it's way out. Well I know it is -because the owner wants to do glamping pods etc. It is almost alone on a beck with a decking over the beck - and one day I shall disappear through that too! But quiet sites, low fees and do as you like - that's not the modern way - it's all going to go now and just those big sites left that don't have older vans and charge a lot - don't know why people have enough money to buy the ritzy lodges in the Lakes etc....
    It's not too much maintenance and sometimes its fun - putting up blinds and making it nice - we replaced all the window trim one year - one of those jobs you know how to do .......... after you've done it. It's also at a seaside so the grand kids adore it. You are right I should get someone sensible to look at the floor and I know just the person.

nizebaby likes this.
  20. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I know exactly what you you mean.