1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Statement targets different to IEP - What's an IEP for?!

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by anon874, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    To keep this brief - all staff at this school are told that SA+ and statement pupils have an IEP which is available on our intranet system.
    All of year 7 pupils have very similar IEPs - to settle into the school, find where the classrooms are, learn teachers' names.......
    Now a review has come up for one pupil and I have to comment on the targets which are listed only on his statement which is kept in a large file in the SEN room which are completely different to the targets on the IEP.
    What's the point of an IEP being easily shared with staff if the targets hidden away on the statement are the ones we need to know?

Help!

2. I think that usually Statement Targets are longer term - until the next annual review whereas IEP targets are shorter term (half a term/ a term) but they should be aimed at meeting the overall statement targets otherwise there is no point.
    For your year 7s the initial IEP targets sound fine as ones for a first term induction period but will need relating to the statement. If a particular pupil is having an annual review presumably there are 2 terms of progress from their primary school which you could draw on in the review.

3. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

pm me with your e mail and I'll send you our advice and an IEP that we use in secondary special if it will help.
    Basically the objectives on the pupils statement should be broken down into smaller targets that can be worked on in the classrooom. These should form the IEP. The next annual review meeting should review the IEP targets and the full statement to ensure the statement and provision is still relevant.
    The statement objectives inform the IEP targets and progress towerds the the IEP targets inform the statement review.

4. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

I have to agree mini, the I in IEP does stand for "individual". If the whole year group have similar targets, it's not really individual. If they all have the same need it should be covered through adapting the curriculum for all, not through an Individual Education Programme.

5. I don't think IEPs are "foisted" on pupils, they should just specify what specific strategies the child needs to make progress. If a 3 year old needs different input from their peers then they should have an IEP.