1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Statement of Philosophy

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by bilby, Nov 10, 2018.

1. bilby

bilby New commenter

Hello... Short and sweet
    Difference between Statement of Philosophy and Cover letter!!! 1 page each
    Thankyou

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

A Cover Letter can be short and sweet. You are applying for Job A and your saw it advertised in the TES / Search Associates or B or wherever. You think that you would be a good candidate for this post because of C, D and E. Please find enclosed etc.,

A Statement of Philosophy has to be a bit longer and more detailed, I would suggest, and there is no reason why you should not briefly mention examples from your teaching career.

3. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

If this is a school asking for a Statement of Philosophy, I bet they have a section on their "ethos" on their website, in which case you should lift key words from it and explain how you include them in your teaching practice (and pastoral relationship with pupils).

If it's for an agency (TH perhaps?) then, as Hippo says, you should mention examples from your teaching career that illustrate your feelings about your subject and your conception of yourself as a teacher (e.g. do you see your role as a facilitator or to you lead from the front?).

The cover letter is probably why you want to work for that particular school in that particular setting.

4. bilby

bilby New commenter

Thank you... Off I go to sort it out!