1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

State Vs Independant

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by tomwilson1985, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Hi
    I have recently qualified as a secondary science teacher in December and I am currently looking for my first teacher post.
    At the moment there are not a great deal of biology jobs in the North West, the only jobs available are those in private schools.
    I was wondering if it is possible to do your NQT year in a private school and if you can, is there any disadvantages to this. Also if I was looking for a job in a state school after I had completed my NQT year in an independant school, would it be accepted that I had done my NQT year in private school and would it be harder to get a job in a state school because of this??
    Any help would be appreciated as I am not sure what to do!
    Many thanks

2. Hi
    I have recently qualified as a secondary science teacher in December and I am currently looking for my first teacher post.
    At the moment there are not a great deal of biology jobs in the North West, the only jobs available are those in private schools.
    I was wondering if it is possible to do your NQT year in a private school and if you can, is there any disadvantages to this. Also if I was looking for a job in a state school after I had completed my NQT year in an independant school, would it be accepted that I had done my NQT year in private school and would it be harder to get a job in a state school because of this??
    Any help would be appreciated as I am not sure what to do!
    Many thanks

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there!
    Q1 Yes. Although some of your Tutors try to tell you that you can't. You do need to check that the school offers induction, but 9/10 do.
    Yes you can do your Induction Year in an Independent School
    Q2 The induction year once done gives you the same qualification as if done in a maintained school. However, you may not have got the same experience of dealing with disciplinary issues in a classroom, so a school that has such issues might be less keen on you. But go to the Independent Forum and search for "state" or "maintained" and you'll get several threads giving you the Pros and Cons. Mainly Pros, actually.
    Also search there for "application" to see how you should present yourself - you'll need to talk about what you will offer for co-curricular. You should read the clickables in the Welcome Thread there to get background on indy schools.
    And of course you should read the clickables in the Welcome Thread <u>here </u>to find out how to write that great application.
    Best of luck!
    I shall be doing Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contributing to the Job Application Seminars and Weekend Workshops over February half term. We shall be looking at application letters, executive summaries and interviews.
    The next Weekend Workshop on applications is on Sunday 23rd January. Contact advice@tes.co.uk for more details on all of these.
    Look forward to seeing you!