1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

State pension

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by susanrk, Jul 20, 2020.

1. susanrk

susanrk Occasional commenter

Apologies if this has been asked many times before. I retired from teaching last Summer and am due to get my state pension in 2025. I've looked it up and will be about £10 a week short unless I 'buy back' 3 years. Is this worth doing and how do I do it?

2. rikkitar52

rikkitar52 New commenter

Hallo
    1.how much is pay back for 3 years
    then we can do the calculation
    if u dont do it you lose 40 a month for say 20 years around 10 thousand
    so if it cost less than 10 thousand go for it and pay back

susanrk likes this.
  3. diddydave

diddydave Lead commenter

You can see on the checking page which I presume is what you have done...it is unlikely you have any gaps that you can fill up now but you still have 5 years between now and 2025 so plenty of time to buy those missing three years: https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

You can pay 'voluntary' contributions to buy a year.
    At the moment there are two types of voluntary (this is something the chancellor has his eye on as one of them is much cheaper than the other and can be paid by the self-employed - he gave a very big hint in his first corona press briefing that this will change) https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-national-insurance-contributions/rates

As a self-employed person, or - as is quite often appropriate for retired teachers - an invigilator or examiner you are allowed to buy the cheaper one.

Class 2 costs £3.05 a week
    Class 3 costs £15.30 a week

Given that each year you 'buy' adds about £4 a week to your state pension then both are good value.
    For class 2 you would recover the cost within a year of drawing your pension, the class 3 would take just under 4 years.

You contact HMRC and ask to pay the voluntary contributions...and that's it.

eljefeb90, susanrk and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. susanrk

Thank you so much. Definitely worth doing though I don't qualify for the lower rate.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Rememer also, when doing your calculations. one needs only 26 'qualifying weeks' in a year, so you may only need a few week's worth. I know because of my supply I found often I'd got 22- 25 weeks missing in a year, so not that much to make up. When you actually get thro' to a 'person' I found them really helpful with their advice.

susanrk likes this.
  6. susanrk

Can you pay the contribution as a lump sum annually do you happen to know?

7. FullTiltBoogie

FullTiltBoogie New commenter

Yes, you can either pay by monthly direct debit or in a lump sum (about £780 for class 3 from memory). If you ring the HMRC on 0300 200 3500 they give you the 18 digit number you need to quote when making a bank transfer. They were very quick and helpful when I rang. This is the relevant web page: https://www.gov.uk/government/organ...rance-enquiries-for-employees-and-individuals

susanrk likes this.
  8. diddydave

diddydave Lead commenter

You can pay it annually and you can even wait a few years before doing so. (Up to 6 years): https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-national-insurance-contributions/deadlines

In that way you can be sure you need to. Suppose you get a part-time job or start up a business etc etc, you may find that you contribute enough without having to rush to buy the next 3.

susanrk likes this.
  9. ikon66

ikon66 Occasional commenter

So I’m 62, pension age of 66 I can wait until I’m almost 66 and decide if I want to pay the 4 years it says I’m short of full pension?

10. diddydave

diddydave Lead commenter

Exactly...though to get the lower class 2 ones you'd need to let HMRC know that you are one of the groups that would qualify to pay it now. They may get shirty if you tried to tell them you were self-employed in 4 years time but didn't inform them at the time!

susanrk likes this.
  11. ikon66

ikon66 Occasional commenter

I wouldn’t qualify for lower payments but doing the maths I’d be better off in the long run depending on how long I’d live after 66. Never really considered it but with interest rates so poor it maybe a better investment of just over £3000

eljefeb90 likes this.
  12. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

Definitely a wise investment. If you die at 67, tough tamales!

13. JanE60

JanE60 New commenter

Seek advice as some years are cheaper than other years when it comes to "buying"!

susanrk and ikon66 like this.
  14. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

@eljefeb90 if you’re dead it won’t matter!

eljefeb90 likes this.
  15. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I got a breakdown of what I would have to pay, and worked out that I wouldn't see any profit from my investment until I'm about 73.
    It all depends on how long you live, obviously.
    I get my state pension next year.

ikon66 likes this.
  16. diddydave

diddydave Lead commenter

Really?...I had it in a much shorter time frame:
    Class 2 costs £3.05 a week
    Class 3 costs £15.30 a week

Given that each year you 'buy' adds about £4 a week to your state pension then both are good value.
    For class 2 you would recover the cost within a year of drawing your pension, the class 3 would take just under 4 years.

17. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

..... unless you get yourself a job as an invigilator? Assuming that there are still going to be exams and that invigilation will still happen, it is worth looking at.

18. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Indeed, I worked on the basis that an investment of about £3000 over four years would ‘pay out’ a guaranteed index linked return of over £ 800 p.a for life .
    I couldn’t find anything close to that in any other savings/investment scheme.
    and I’ll ‘break even’ well before I’m 70
    @Dunteachin I m guessing you’re about the same age as me so feel free to PM me for more specific details if you wish.

eljefeb90 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  19. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Thanks, Lizzie. I have notes and calculations from a phone call, last year, to the State Pension people. The chap told me which years I could buy back, and how much it would be for each year.

All I have to do is phone HMRC and set it up.

I haven't done it, yet. Indecision crept in...

I'll have a re-think.

lizziescat and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  20. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Ahh, perhaps the difference.
    I didn’t buy back any years, - ie plugging gaps in my working life record that wouldn’t have made any difference to my pension as I had over 35 years anyway. But what I did buy were 4 years after I retired by making voluntary contributions for the years of the new state pension ie from 2016 - 2020.

Have you enquired whether you are eligible for this? Although if you have worked in any of those years since retiring from teaching (I’m assuming you have) and thus paid NI by that route then you’re not eligible as you have contributed to the new state pension via that route.

edit: you have a PM

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    Lara mfl 05 likes this.