1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

State Pension/TP Query

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by symmnkt, Oct 9, 2019.

1. symmnkt

symmnkt New commenter

Dear All,

Asking on behalf of a friend and to be honest I have no idea myself.

My friend is wanting to pay more in to her teachers pension but someone said that she would also get a state pension of up to £168 a week.

Basically she wants to know if this is true (trusting that continues to contribute to her NI payments). She says the calculators on TP forecasts she will get around £16000 a year so would she get the extra £8000 a year on top of this from state pension or does it work completely different?

Thank you for anyone who can advise

Si

2. ikon66

ikon66 Occasional commenter

border_walker likes this.
  3. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

At the state pension age, yes, it’s a separate pension. Unlikely that she will get it at the same time as the teacher's pension. More likely she will get the TP first and then when she is what is it now, 66?, get the state pension.

border_walker likes this.
  4. ikon66

ikon66 Occasional commenter

On another note she can’t pay more into her teacher’s pension. She could take out AVC with prudential or another SIPP

5. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

There are ways to buy more teachers additional pension usually over a number of years.

border_walker and ikon66 like this.
  6. Saffron5

Saffron5 New commenter

You get teacher pension and state pension

7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

She can check when she will get her state pension here

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-age

8. Dorsetdreams

Dorsetdreams Occasional commenter

Not meaning to be rule to anyone, but how sad it is that many teachers spend so long working to improve others' futures yet give so very little attention to their own.

Jamvic, ikon66, catmother and 4 others like this.
  9. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Depends on the effect of the years of "opted out" when contributors to a work pension paid lower NI, until everybody went onto paying the same rate of NI in whatever year that was (2015?). As others mentioned, you can check your personal state pension forecast on government website.

10. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The changeover date was April 2016. Previously workers in an occupational pension were contracted out of SERPS, the State Earnings Related Pension (the second State pension). We paid slightly lower NI and that gave us the basic State pension. Everyone now pays the same, higher NI and earns towards the new higher state oension.
    I had a few SERPS years from before I was in the TPS and some from doing agency teaching. I then paid 2 years of voluntary NI from 2016 and started getting over £160 per week State pension in 2018, in top of my TPS pension.