1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

State of job market for maths teachers

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by basilicata, Feb 25, 2011.

1. I am a 55 year old mathematics teacher. I urgently need a full-time teaching post for next September. Assuming average interview skills etc., what are the chances of finding one in the London area?
    James

2. I am a 55 year old mathematics teacher. I urgently need a full-time teaching post for next September. Assuming average interview skills etc., what are the chances of finding one in the London area?
    James

3. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

Pretty much guaranteed...

4. DM

DM New commenter

20% of all classroom teacher vacancies are for mathematics. There are 340 available on TES Jobs right now (although only 30 are in London). Unless you interview incredibly badly, you should have no trouble.

5. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

The caveat, of course, is the kind of school you will have no trouble getting into.

My situation is atypical, as I'm applying for jobs from overseas (and I publish on the internet under my own name - which is a red flag to all the little Hitlers in many schools). However, I've been given the very strong impression that all the really good schools are being inundated with applications from highly qualified teachers.

So, yes, you will almost certainly get a job as it seems that there is an exodus of good maths teachers to the independent sector or schools classified as outstanding.

At any rate, good luck.

6. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

It's certainly true that schools in difficult circumstances are finding it very hard to recruit. However, that certainly does not mean those who are better off are having an easy time of it.

7. The answers is:
    Yes there are jobs
    Whether you like them/they like you and it all fits is the thread topic IMO
    DM says there are 30 ATM, so 30 letters out and see what comes back.
    You might walk into a dream job round the corner or you might be hate the place you go for interview at, like the place but find the travel too much or like it all and get 'outdone' by one of the other x candidates.
    ps - be as positive as possible, the word average is better used in the maths classroom, not the sales pitch [​IMG]
    Depending on how long ago you were last interviewed you may find current trends/standards worth reading (delete if not applicable)

8. In addition to applying for the 30 advertised I would send a letter to any school close to where you actually want to be teaching ... many schools have given up advertising and made do

9. Thanks to everyone who has replied to this. I'm encouraged by the reponses, but isn't it still the case that given the cuts teachers in their 50s (as they are more expensive) are going to have a hard time of finding a maths post? James

10. DM

DM New commenter

I don't know why you think teachers in their 50s are automatically more expensive. Surely you know your own position on the pay scale?

11. I wouldnt over analyse and just be positive.
    Unless you have any 'issues' from your past it should be a case of being proactive, positive and just cracking on with the letters, forms, emails and phone calls.
    At the end of the day you can probably get enough supply work until you find something you want if you are willing to hold out.
    Although a massive sweeping statement, based on the last few years of seeing new and old teachers, I would much prefer someone experience, able to cut it in the classroom and know what the job is about than someone who has only ever perfomed on a 30-50% timetable and killed themselves to get through a PGCE/GTP, especially in some urban <strike>jungles</strike> schools.

12. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

Schools with sixth forms tend to get more applications too - many teachers want to teach A-level.

13. As per all of the positive comments above. In the past three years, my school has had at least one post to fill. We are a comprehensive in a lovely city. The school isn't perfect but it's a school in a city rather than an 'inner-city' school (no offence to anyone).

We have really struggled to recruit on all of the occasions. The last time around was particularly difficult since we were actually looking for someone with experience but didn't find anyone at all, we had all NQTs apply.

Nazard is right about people wanting to teach A level maths and there being more applicants to independent schools. Timing can be everything and if you don't get a job for September you will probably find rich pickings in the Autumn, applying to schools 'out of season' is more of a sellers market.

Best of luck with your application, there is every reason to be very positive.