1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting your own tuition centre - know any good books or websites about this?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by lazzle, May 2, 2012.

1. "How to Start and Run Your Own Home Tutoring Business"
    Stellman, Gillian

Has been recommended to me. It's en route from Amazon now - I'll let you know what I think of it when it arrives!

2. Brilliant. I'd be really interested to know what you think. I know there are various books out there but I really wanted a recommendation. I'll wait to hear how you find it. Thanks!

3. I have an independently owned tuition Centre. I've been in the business for 7 years and can give advice on running your own.

4. Hi Laukell - any advice gratefully received. Have PM-ed you.

5. Thanks Laukell. I suppose the main thing I want to know is how you got started. I do a bit of private tuition and have thought about opening up a tuition centre but to do it properly, I think I'd need to really go for it and do it full time but that's too scary at the moment. Do you have your own premises or do you hire out different places? How many students do you have and do you do a full lesson with all of them or do they work individually, or something in between? Also, do you have any support staff? Sorry if this is too many questions. Any advice you can give would be gratefully received. Thanks.

6. Hi Laukell,

I hope you can help me. I am thinking of opening a tution centre and I would like advice on how to set up, where I can get resources free or by subscription. How do I protect myself through insurance and data protection. I understand you have to by a licence to protect yuoureself for data protection. If you can give me any further advice to get me started will be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Waseem.

7. Hi Waseem

The Data Protection Licence is for storing lots of details on computers. There's a registration costs and an annual subscription. Just keep hard copy records and you'll be OK. You need Public Liability insurance. I use Hislops Insurance and it's reasonable. There's various resources packages available now for reasonable prices for online use. It depends how you will structure your tutoring and how many students you will tutor at one time.

LAUKELL

8. Hi Laukell, Thanks for your information about data protection and insurance. Could tell me where I can get resource worksheets and online programmes free or by subscription so that I can legally use them at my new tution centre which I hope to set up soon?

9. Hello Laukell. I understand you have been running your own tuition centre for a number of years now. Would love your advice please. I currently run a small group from home but I am looking to do it properly and expand. What do I do, where do I start? Do I hire premises, you mentioned data protection? What's that for? What kind of online resources should I be looking at if any? How do I start really ! All your advice would be gratefully received. Do I need a mentor as well please? With many thanks for your precious time.

10. I know that LessonPark.com has a business section which enables you to register multiple teachers which in essence would be a 'virtual centre'. Hope that helps

11. I would like to know more. Especially how this compares with life as a teacher in mainstream.

12. Hi,
    I am thinking about staring my tution centre. I would appreciate any advice. I have separate annexe so I will not have any building over heads.

Regards

13. I call that "outside".

kandi1990 likes this.
  14. Hi Sabahdaudi
    I haven't checked the Forum posts for some time, so sorry about my late reply. I can give advice but you send me a private message or send your email address. Thanks

15. Hi Waseemsarwar,
    Have you managed to start your tuition business yet? I'm now looking for anyone interested in mine in mid-Essex as I'm looking to retire. Any referrals would be appreciated.

16. Hi, I haven't checked the Forum posts for some time, hence my late reply. If you are still wanting to expand I can suggest some options. Send me a private message or email. Also I'm selling my own centre in Mid-Essex and would appreciate any referrals for this.

17. Hi Laukell

i have sent you a friend request

wanted some valuable advice from yourself

Hope to speak soon!

18. Hi Laukell, I have been tutoring privately at home for 3 yrs now. Looking to start my own tuition center. It would be immensely helpful if you could give me some advice regarding the materials, advertising etc.

Thanks,

Smita

19. Hi Laukell,

Just sent you a friend request. Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks...

20. I am looking at a similar project. Which area are you based?