1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting Training at 49 years old

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Optimumbiscuit, Oct 16, 2019.

1. I was just wondering if any other trainees are starting their training around this age, and what their experiences where. Any problems that you may face, and how you are coping with, what might be, a complete life change.

I have gone into Primary and am 2 months into my SCITT PGCE course. i'm loving it, but by crikey, am I tired all the time. I also find it hard to switch my brain down to the level of the children (year 2) particularly after having worked with teenagers for the last 25 years. I've looked online for support groups, but didn't have any success, although I did give up quite quickly. I hoped that maybe this could become a place to talk and share, or that someone could point me in the direction of an already existing group/forum. Anyhoo, let me know if this is of interest.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I am not on a teacher training course, but thought I might give you some ideas about the fatigue.

You probably know all this or most of this anyway, but perhaps there might be one of two ideas you might find of interest.

Firstly, and I know this is extremely difficult with all you have to do, but try and ensure you get 8 hours sleep each night. I know that is the most basic thing that even Year 7s know but it is so important.

Secondly, try to organise things so you have one full day off on the weekend. Again, I know almost impossible to do, but at least try and aim for it.

Thirdly, you have to ensure you are eating enough food and food of the right type and drinking enough water. If you are not eating enough or not the right foods, you are going to be tired. Make sure you eat lunch and take a lunch break.

Fourthly, take vitamin B Complex since that will help with the fatigue.

Lastly, try and get some exercise each week. If you can't get to a gym or on a budget, there are some good videos on YouTube. I like Gina B, Jessica Smith and Denise Austin.

From experience, I would say take the time to investigate your diet and to examine what you are eating. I am in a journey of reversing osteoporosis and while some of it is genetic, it can be reversed with correct diet and exercise.

Wishing you all the best for your new career.

agathamorse and Gsr25 like this.
  3. tillc

tillc New commenter

Hi Optimumbiscuit,

I started my PGCE at 47, having worked with adults as a support worker in mental health and learning disabilities. I went into primary, like you. I'm not the best example because I'm redoing my placements this year, but nevertheless maybe we can support each other a bit. Tiredness is normal, it is a very intense year. Try supplements, ginseng works for me, CoQ10 is good, some people like ginko biloba. Pepper5's advice to get 8 hours sleep a night and take one day off a week just wasn't possible for me, or a lot of other people, but I'm going to try to get at least 7 hours a night this time around because I can't manage well on less for more than a night or two.

I had real problems trying to remember everything, I forgot something in many lessons that I taught because there was so much to learn and it was too much to take in all at once. Sometimes it was important, like demonstrating how to do a sum that the teacher had gone over with me and written down for me only the night before. How are you doing with your memory? I'm wondering whether it's an age thing.

4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi tillc

If you are tired, you will find it difficult to remember things. I don't think it is necessarily an age thing but perhaps it depends on the individual. I am somewhat older than you but my memory is better than it was in my 30s and I think it is down to confidence - believing I can remember things. Having plenty of good food and rest will also help but as you say a lot of people can't manage one day off a week; however, I would aim for it even if you find it difficult.

I wouldn't worry too much because the more you teach the subject matter, the more you will remember it and how to teach it because as you say there is a lot to remember.

agathamorse and Gsr25 like this.
  5. reay73

reay73 New commenter

Hello Optimumbiscuit.

I'm 46 and started a SD PGCE Primary in September. I know exactly what you mean about exhaustion and I've had a couple of wobbles on the way. I have children of my own so it really has been a challenge to deal with children all day and then come home to my own brood! Do keep in touch and let me know how you're doing.

Best wishes.

6. 43Meadows

43Meadows New commenter

I am also in my late 40’s and doing the SD pgce. All of the advice given is true, I make sure I do any tasks/homework/planning the day I am given it and as soon as I get home (usually takes about an hour). Then I have evening meal then I look at what I need to do the next day. My laptop is closed around 8pm and it’s time to read or watch tv. Bedtime is around 10pm so I get decent night sleep.
    This is a long half term and a steep learning curve so yes, I am tired, but I keep a Sunday work free to recharge. I like routine and structure so this works for me.

agathamorse, Gsr25 and pepper5 like this.
  7. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

I’m nearly 40 and started my SCITT PGCE this year and I too feel exhausted! Some really good advice upthread to take on board. I go to bed early every night to make sure I get the 8 hours in, I plan out my meals to make sure I get the right foods in, I need to make sure I drink more water which can challenging! I’m trying to cycle to placement a few days a week but this might stop now the weather is turning as I’m in the sticks so dark country roads.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

teachers needing drugs to keep going. crazy. Even crazier that it is just accepted as normal. Caffeine, vitiamins, alcohol, and worse.

Teachers in my school are going out on a Wednesday night and getting intravenous vitamin drips to help them get through to Friday.

If you need any sort of drug to combat fatigue, the school should be reducing your workload. Of course that will never happen

Why does the DofE allow this state of affairs?

9. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi Corvuscorax

Thank you for your post.

You are correct. It is insanity.

What you write about teachers going out on Wednesday to getting intravenous trips is SHOCKING. I would never advocate that.

You are 100% correct in all you write.

What can we do????

agathamorse likes this.
  10. greasychipbuttie

greasychipbuttie New commenter

I’m a mature student with children of my own, doing Primary and I feel all the above emotions.

I’m not in a great place right now, need to find motivation. My subject knowledge is very weak, a lot of what we teach I’ve never heard of before!

I’m giving it till Xmas. I owe my family to have a proper go at this!

agathamorse, karon19 and pepper5 like this.
  11. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi greasychipbuttie

If your children are old enough, they can pitch in and age appropriate tasks.

Try to do eveything around the home in the quickest and easiest way. Everyone who can needs to help you.

agathamorse likes this.
  12. reay73

reay73 New commenter

Hello again greasychipbuttie. I remember that we were in the same boat as fairly late applicants back in July. That seems like a very long time ago.

I'm a mature applicant like you with children and I have had a number of wobbles about continuing with this. Part of me thinks it would be so much easier just to call the whole thing off and return to my old life. I really don't like the way in which it has come to dominate everything - even when I'm not working I spend far too much time thinking about it:). However, part of me feels I should stick with it, like you, until Christmas and then review.

Do keep in touch and let me know how it goes. You're not the only one!

Very best wishes, reay73.

agathamorse likes this.
  13. happiness20

happiness20 New commenter

I can relate to this so much

agathamorse likes this.