1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting to tutor privately

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by jenna_marie206, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Hello, I know there are a few threads about this already but just after specific answers to a few questions.

I have decided to start tutoring in my "spare" time.

I have had interest from 2 people.

One has a child in year 1 who is struggling with phonics ( which is a great starter as I am very confident early phonics and fully trained) and the other year 2 ( so I intend to concentrate on the SATS requirements unless the first session shows different needs).

What I'm wondering is do I need contracts? Do I take my qualifications etc? What happens in the first session?
    What resources should I take?

I know these sound like really basic questions but I don't want to come across as unprepared of unprofessional.

Thank you in advance.

2. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

No one has ever asked to see my qualifications.
    You might want to create yourself a cancellation policy though and give them this. It may stop people messing you about
    I generally start with some baseline assessment questions and take it from there

stepha_tutor likes this.
  3. gainly

gainly Senior commenter

I'd agree with langteacher. I've been tutoring nearly 20 years and had several hundred students. No one has asked to see my qualifications and I've never bothered with a formal contract but a cancellation policy (e.g. payment required if they don't give 24 hours notice) could be useful.

I tutor GCSE and A level so can't really advise on what to do in the lesson.

4. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything New commenter

Hello, the best tip I was given is to take a half term's payment in advance each time. This formalises the commitment and prevents regular last minute cancellations. I do try to reschedule lessons if the person then cancels and has paid, but make it clear that this might not always be possible. Good luck.

5. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

I just role up, put a smile on my face and try to help the student. The best tip I have is to give the students lots and lots of praise. Tutoring has to be different from teaching or there is no point. In my subject (maths) most students have had an hour a days instruction for 11 years at school. There is no point me going in with text books and homework etc. Because it's just more of the same. Smile, encourage, help, analyse barriers to learning but don't do what you did as a teacher because most students are getting that at school.

langteacher and 7eleven like this.
  6. 7eleven

7eleven Senior commenter

I do show new parents my teaching certificate and DBS, as they’re usually leaving their 7/8/9 year old with me and I think it’s right to show it.

In my experience parents usually have an idea (from parents evenings etc) of what they’d like you to do with their child, and I take that as a starting point. So for example, with the year 1 phonics child I’d initially do a phase 2/3 phonics check with segmenting/blending and look for issues.

7. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

Hi

I have drawn up a registration form, learning agreement and several other policies.

I have never been asked for qualifications but have a degree and always state what my qualifications are.

As far what to take, I draw up an sow and lesson plan. I take a basic assessment of some sort and a few examples of text books I use. I teach primary to adult in English maths and science.

Hope this helps.