1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting to teach Western Classical Music tradition..

Discussion in 'Music' started by YesMrBronson, Dec 19, 2011.

1. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Really good advice above. If I may add that you could try to get them to play some of this stuff too? Even if it's only melody lines on keyboards or guitars; it's not authentic but it keeps their interest.
    Also, a trip out to see an orchestra can be inspiring and Heads tend to like to support this perhaps more than pop (I've found so anyway).

2. v12

v12

I have found that the children really like the bizarre ways most of the old composers seem to have died or been killed - once they know a little scandal, they're often quite receptive to hearing some of the music.

3. I actually do two units of work on "classical" music back to back at the start of year 8. They perform Vivaldi's Four Seasons (a small exerpt) from Music Matters (the old copy) and the next half term they do the Minuet from Haydn. The emphasis is on performing - however we also discuss the periods of music, the difference between Baroque and Classical, the Harpsichord, the Symphony, Ballanced Phrases, melody writing and harmonisation using intervals. They find it hard, but they do learn a lot!