1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting to feel like I’ve had enough

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by arl17, Feb 11, 2019.

1. arl17

arl17 New commenter

Been teaching 4 years now, and I feel like I’ve had enough. I’ve battled with stress & anxiety for a while because of the nature of the job, but lately it’s really affecting my whole life. I’m still in my mid-20s but I’m now having panic attacks & stress-related illness. Am I the only one feeling like this? I’ve neglected all aspects of my life, I’m so thankful my partner’s been understanding, but I don’t ever make time for myself anymore (I’m always too physically/mentally drained) Could anyone please help suggesting other ideas of work outside of teaching? I’ve thought of becoming a receptionist/recruitment consultant but I would really like to know what else is out there! It’s horrible writing this as teaching has always been my passion, but it’s getting too much now

2. Teslasmate

Teslasmate Occasional commenter

Am I the only one feeling like this?

No, no you are not. Thousands are leaving every year. Many of them are leaving because of the crushing weight of unrealistic expectation, bully management, poor behaviour and a workload that is not only unsustainable, but made up of pointless dross to further the careers of the greasy pole climbers.

It's not you, the system is in a nosedive. How you feel is a rational response to an irrational situation.

If you are only 4 years in, your presumably will not have climbed too high on the pay scale. It will be easier to find similarly paid work outside teaching than for an old timer. Specific jobs I can't advise on, but you have a valuable skill set (presenting information, soft people management skills, dealing with the stroppy).

The other option is supply (which is what I did when it became too much). Supply has its' own problems and heavily depends on which subject/s you teach, but it does avoid most of the madness in schools.

3. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Sorry to hear that you have arrived at this point. Before making any jump, I would recommend that you have a really good think about whether it is just your current workplace that isn't working for you, or the entire career choice. Independent, overseas, special, grammar, primary, secondary, part-time, FE ... there is a huge difference between them.

Beyond that, you might benefit from looking into and adjusting your own response to stress and workplace incompatibility so that you can better deal with the challenges that your next workplace presents.

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Firstly - you're not alone.

Secondly - you invested too much in a dream of what teaching must be like. Beware of doing that again. Let realism be your watchword. Doesn't mean you can't be optimistic. But be careful what you wish for.

Third - other work? Charity sector? Other schools? For me it was Special Needs. Small groups and nobody is expecting them to get 5 GCSEs so you can work with them as individuals and help them to achieve their potential realistically. (That word again). The world's your oyster. Start looking!

Here are some lyrics from a song I'm playing on a loop at the moment.

I'm not trying to hide what's real
    I know sometimes you get a raw deal
    But life is short and time is cruel
    I can't help seeing the glass half full

So I lay my poor tired head on the pillow again
    And I pray to God that maybe we can all sleep well
    And maybe we can dream big
    Cause' you know it's gonna be a crazy life
    But that's alright, now don't feel sad

Just go outside, the weather's not bad

And I think we're gonna be alright
    Yes I think we're gonna do just fine
    And I think we're gonna be okay
    And I think we're gonna make it through
    Yeah I think we're gonna be alright
    Yes I think I'm gonna do just fine
    And I think I'm gonna be okay
    And I think I'm gonna make it through this crazy life

Read more: Home Free - Crazy Life Lyrics | MetroLyrics

5. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

You know you can't go like this. You could have at least another 40 years of working life ahead of you and would simply be wasting it if your job was dominating your life, exhausting you and making you ill. You mention how understanding your partner is which is brilliant, but what are they getting out of the relationship? When will the understanding turn to resentment? Don't take your partner's loyalty for granted, all relationships need work and input. If your job isn't allowing that then, if you value your partner above your job, then things have to change.

In your mid twenties you have plenty of time and the youth to forge a new career. You may even be able to get on a graduate training programme. The skills you have acquired through your teaching will fit in very well with other occupations. You say you don't know what else is out there but a quick search through these forums will soon reveal the success stories of those who've escaped teaching. I always advocate that the best way of finding out what's going on is to start applying for jobs. Once you get yourself in front of an interviewer or panel, ask about progression, career opportunities. Something may be suitable a little bit further up the ladder if you sell yourself well enough. Get a good look around the companies you go to interviews with, speak to the other workers if you get chance. If you don't like a place you can always say no.

You've realised that teaching IS your life to the extent that you have no time or energy for anything else. Your life can be so much better and I'm sure that your partner and those who care for you would appreciate and welcome that but you have to make it happen. You've got youth, a loving partner and time on your side. You've tried teaching and that hasn't worked out so take that passion you had for teaching and apply it to forging a successful career in another area, your partner and YOUR life.

6. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

Have you considered a move overseas? It's the best thing I ever did, after a decade of gradually being dragged down into continual stress and anxiety by my jobs. I can now TEACH rather than the majority of my working time being taken up with admin, behaviour issues and pointless nonsense, and only a small part of it being actual teaching. For the first time in years, I feel like I'm on top of my workload and have time to plan well thought out lessons and give meaningful feedback to students rather than jumping through Ofsted hoops as fast as I can.

7. mothergoose2013

mothergoose2013 Occasional commenter

In addition I can only say that the perceived trap only grows bigger the longer you stay in it. I was a good few years ahead of you age wise before I realised what was happening and that made it harder to get out. You have so many options but one trap of the system is that you stop seeing them.
    Work out your honest hourly rate as a starting point: I guarantee it will shock you. From there the options will begin to become clear.
    The most important person in all of it is you: make sure you are looking after you.

8. mothergoose2013

mothergoose2013 Occasional commenter

PS: as others have said there are options within education that may work - you do not have to change career but are still young enough to do so if that is what works for you xxxxx

Shedman and grumpydogwoman like this.
  9. Daredevil111

Daredevil111 New commenter

In the exact same situation/ feeling

Hate it everyday.

Any options for an English grad / masters holder....