1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting the Year

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lams2012, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Hi, I am very new to the forum and am still in my PGCE Year, hopefully graduating in June. This may seem like an absolutely rediculous question to ask, but I was wondering (if I am fortunate enough to get a post starting in September) how to start the year off in the first few weeks, introducing children to inputs, topics and learning in year 1 onwards. How do you ensure that initial period is successfuland sets you and the class up well?
    Thankyou for any advice you have
    L

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

- Don't worry about next year yet.
    - Focus on your PGCE.
    - Don't spend your summer working.
    - If you get a job, go into the school for the last couple of weeks of the summer term and get as much info as you can on timetables/routines/expectations and download everything on the server onto a couple of DVD discs. Buddy up with your year team if you have one and get all the support you can from them.
    - Spend the first week of the holidays getting the classroom sorted (it won't ever take you this long again but it probably will first time round).
    - Then take at least 3 weeks off. Go abroad or somewhere you can't take any work with you.
    - Then spend a week planning your med term plan and weekly plan for first week back. Maybe go into school on the last day of this week to get your resources ready for your first day.
    - Then take another week off. You will be dead by the end of the first week anyway, you might as well enjoy this one. Read lots of books and spend time with friends. You won't be doing much of either for a while.
    Do try to enjoy the 6 week holidays. It's one of the best parts of the job. Don't spend the summer working and don't focus too much on next year yet.

3. Rule number 1: Do not let them know you are new to the game!!!

Other than that enjoy it! It is very daunting at first but you easily get into the swing of things just like you do with teaching practice but this is much better as they are all yours!!! Have a few activities planned for the first few days, however your HT will probably let you know what the overall objective is for the 1st few days.

Set the class rules (boring but got to be done), however you can involve them in it and see what they think the class should be like to be fun and work well.

Could do a baby photo thing where everyone brings in a baby photo and you play guess who? Make sure you bring one in of you too!!!

Just generally learn their names, play games, assess their abilities and keep a disciplined but fun classroom.

Enjoy!

4. Thankyou! That's great, I think I am gettign a bit ahead of myself as I still have my final placement to go, but it is good to get advice off experienced teachers :)

5. Thankyou, I feel a bit daft for asking that question, I have a few ideas, but obviously I am still training so any advice the professionals who havebeen doing it for years have is brilliant and really helpful :)