1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting teaching placement - primary key stage 2 - Terrified

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by gillandandy, Dec 1, 2015.

1. gillandandy

gillandandy New commenter

Hi,
    I am due to start my teaching placement after Christmas, it is making me ill. I am so anxious and depressed thinking I am going to fail........I did one placement but i became ill and had family issues so did not pass it, furthermore, I felt I was being bullied and used as a scapegoat.....I wasn't strong enough (at that time) to deal with.

Although I have been teaching in FE Colleges and are qualified my confidence is so low....Please help..

Regards
    Ollybear

2. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Have you talked to your tutor or whoever is in charge?
    Have you been into your placement school?
    Do you know what the expectations & time-frame of the placement are (e.g. initially 10% group teaching leading up to 90% class teaching over 6 weeks)?
    Write down the aspects which are most worrying you and talk them through with someone involved in your training who can help you.

3. SchoolBoyError

SchoolBoyError Occasional commenter

I have a few questions about the initial post. Who do you think you were being bullied by on your first placement? What were you being made a scapegoat for? Normally students on placements have little authority so couldn't be held accountable for anything serious.

If you are qualified, why are you doing teaching placements? I didn't think you would be allowed to continue to your second teaching practice if you had failed the first?

I have to be honest, if you are a teaching student and the thought of a placement, where you get a huge amount of support, is making you ill, anxious and depressed I would leave now. Teaching is much, MUCH harder when you have a class of your own.

Sorry to be blunt but you will no doubt see on these boards a variety of teachers struggling and this is often after very successful teaching practices - that's why I think if you're finding teaching practice such an issue, it's really not for you.

mattgeog likes this.
  4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I am not sure what help we can offer. If the reasons you failed your first placement were down to it being a bad placement and/or family issues which have now been dealt with, then you have a chance of making it through the second placement and beyond. The only way I can think of to find out is to go into the second placement determined to succeed. If you go in with the negative frame of mind shown in your post, I doubt that you will make it.

Discuss it with your tutor, or somebody else who knows more about the details than we do. Then, assuming that you decide that you have a good chance, give everything you have got to make a success of it. It may be, as in the post above, that you are not really cut out to be a teacher. If that turns out to be the case, don't see it as a personal failure. We all have strengths and weaknesses, and you need to find a career that goes with your strengths. I hope that, whatever happens in the short term, you end up with a career that suits you. It is better to give up early than to struggle through years of stress.

5. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

I echo the above really. If the thought is making you ill, what makes you want to teach in the first place? Teaching is very hard work and can be very stressful and that is even in a great school like mine. I am so aware of those on this forum in particular who have nightmare scenarios every day. What is it which makes you think this is for you?

6. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

I echo the sentiments of others. Is it really for you?