1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting supply teaching

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lorjellie, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I'm starting supply teaching after half term and just thought I'd ask for those teachers who have done supply do you have any advice or helpful hints? And from permanent teachers, what makes a good supply teacher?
    I would really appreciate any thoughts as although I'm looking forward to it, I'm actually quite nervous!!

2. Hi all,
    I'm starting supply teaching after half term and just thought I'd ask for those teachers who have done supply do you have any advice or helpful hints? And from permanent teachers, what makes a good supply teacher?
    I would really appreciate any thoughts as although I'm looking forward to it, I'm actually quite nervous!!

3. A bag of tricks that's ready for anything, I always made sure I had my own resources and lessons that didn't assume about there being resources in the classroom I was teaching at. I always carried a deck of cards with me and a bunch of games I could play with those cards. I would also recommend getting a few good story books and writing lessons for a variety of age groups related to them, have a book of short stories like one of Paul Jennings books. Also plenty of games you can think of from the top of your head!

4. Hi
    I agree with regard to having a bag of tricks - especially as some children will finish work faster than others. I found a lot stuff on the TES website under time fillers and have printed items off for different KS and have them ready in a folder to go. Also don't expect use of a computer as i found out in one school having brought lessons to go on my memory stick as back up!!
    Hope all goes well for you.