1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

starting school

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by hhhh, Apr 18, 2012.

1. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Hi as lots of you will be both primary teachers (I'm not) and parents hope someone will know this.
    My friend's little boy was a late August baby, and is a bit behind (her words) for his age. He is due to start school this September. However, most of his friends are in the school year below (though some only 2 weeks younger) and she decided to keep him back. When she informed the school, they said the rules have just been changed and she can no longer do this. Is this true nationally, or just a policy of the school she picked?
    I was surprised as I read just yesterday that a parent can be fined for taking a Recetion school child on holiday if he is 5-but in the same class, in the same school, another parent got away with it a her child was 4 years 360 days!

2. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Hi as lots of you will be both primary teachers (I'm not) and parents hope someone will know this.
    My friend's little boy was a late August baby, and is a bit behind (her words) for his age. He is due to start school this September. However, most of his friends are in the school year below (though some only 2 weeks younger) and she decided to keep him back. When she informed the school, they said the rules have just been changed and she can no longer do this. Is this true nationally, or just a policy of the school she picked?
    I was surprised as I read just yesterday that a parent can be fined for taking a Recetion school child on holiday if he is 5-but in the same class, in the same school, another parent got away with it a her child was 4 years 360 days!

3. I think this has always been the case. You can decide to keep them in nursery for an extra year (if your school allows it) but then they start school in year 1 with the rest of the yeargroup they should have been in. My friend wanted to keep her son back a year 7 years ago as he was 8 weeks prem and ended up born in August when he should have been October, but she was told he would have to be in the yeargroup he should be in according to his birthday. I think it's a rubbish rule myself, children should start school when they are ready rather than becuase of a date on a calendar.

4. I'm going to have the opposite problem I think, LO is an early Sept baby but at 19 months is already much bigger than children 6 months older. Obvs I think she's fab cause I'm her mum, but she seems very verbal for her age so I'm concerned that I'll have to keep her at home until she's almost 5 when I imagine she'll be ready much earlier. It's early days, but I'd like the option of being able to start her early. My sister was due at the beg of Sept and my mum actually had her induced on the 31st of August so she'd start the school year at 4 rather than 5!! To be fair, she is the youngest of 4 and has ended up about 6 feet tall so she could cope with school a bit early.

5. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

I guess that you could send her to nursery though I know it could get expenive if you wante dher to be in fulltime in the byear before she starts. Neither of my children have summerbirthdays but I have to admit if they did I might want to do the same as my friend. Back when I was at school 'late' babies started in January. I think they stopped this as they didn't want them feeling 'different' but it worked for some, guess it depends on the child. I hate to say this, but as a teacher over the years I've noticed 'older' children ie September babies do often seem to do better, though having said that my last 3 Oxbridge were July/August babies.
    And as for you said about your mum, I have heard people do 'plan' their due dates for this reason, I actually was once asked ( I have worked at the FIS so people expect me to know though it wasn't my area)what date one mum shoudl pick for her elective section to maximise the free childcare thing. I'm not joking and neither was the mum lol

6. My mum is a playgroup superviser and has kept children who are 4+ when they are summer birthdays. They have changed the entry dates of reception classes to one intake the September after they are 4. Legally (I think) its the term after they are 5 but often the school 'fills'the place so you can be in catch 22 with it.
    this is hants website
    By law, children have to be in full-time education by the start of the term following their fifth birthday. Parents of summer-born children wishing to defer their child’s entry to school until the start of Year 1 cannot hold a place offered for Year R (Reception); a new application for a place in Year 1 will be required.