1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting salary

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by LauraHester, Jun 12, 2011.

1. LauraHester

LauraHester New commenter

I was always told that any discussions regarding pay should be made at the time of interview. I would therefore imagine that it is now too late if you have already accepted the job.

2. Very few schools will give more than M1 to NQTs. If they do consider giving it, it would be for teaching experience (not counting private tutoring) done previously. This is normally talked about after they offer the job. I was a mature NQT having spent 13 years in science research, I had to start on M1.

3. my friend was given M2 for having 12 years management experience in business, but i agree, negotiation for this should be done at interview.

4. Absolutely do not discuss at interview.
    Imagine, you have not even been offered the job and you have the gall to want to discuss salary!
    Wait until you have been offered the job, then raise the matter. You have a stronger position as they clearly want you.
    However, bear in mind that in the present circumstances money is generally tight for schools.

5. langteacher

langteacher New commenter

under the old system before it was mps / ups i knew someone who started on the top of the scale, having worked in a school abroad but had only just qualified as NQT here. that was early 90s, don't think it would happen now though

6. Piranha

Piranha Lead commenter

It sounds a bit unlikely, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't have a go. I would ask, giving anything in your experience that might seem relevant. Congratulations on the new job, and good luck!