1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting salary for experienced foreign teacher

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by mlovecap, Jun 28, 2017.

1. mlovecap

mlovecap New commenter

I moved to the UK from the US with 5 years of teaching experience as well as leadership experience as a department head. Since moving the the UK last year, I have worked as a part-time cover teacher and TA. Ihave been offered a full-time position at a school for September start with an M2 salary scale. I want to ask for more credit for my experience (truly I think I deserve to be started at least an M5), but I would like to know what is typical for someone in my situation?

jomaimai likes this.
  2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

The US experience doesn't really count, to be honest. You have a year's UK experience, so M2 is 'appropriate'. You could argue for more but I think it very unlikely as you have few tangible UK results, eg.exam results at secondary or KS1 or KS2 sats.

[Am American myself on a higher salary after 3 years here but I have a PhD, good exam results and am in a niche subject]

3. divushibs

divushibs New commenter

I moved to UK three weeks back . I was working as IB Mathematics teacher in Dubai and I have master degree in Mathematics . I did my schooling and university in India. Please advice me how and what I should do to get teaching job in UK

4. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

It is up to you and to them. You need to negotiate, there is not such a thing as a "typical" any more.
    I thought I was fortunate with what I was offered at the beginning. I sadly found out later that I should had been paid more for my previous experience abroad.
    The removal of pay portability by the tories meant that we, teachers, are no longer entitled to keep the progression we have earned through experience. When we move schools we now have to renegotiate our pay.