1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting private tuition centre

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by tutor314, Oct 25, 2018.

1. tutor314

tutor314 New commenter

Hi, looking for opinions- would you ever consider working for a private tuition centre (not one of the big names). A centre that was still allowing you to do your own personalised tuition but in a safe, comfortable environment. All educational resources to hand, working alongside like minded people. Someone else dealing with contacting and setting up clients, dealing with payments from clients, dealing with any issues that arise.
    Or is the whole point that you enjoy working from home, on your own?

2. becca3471

becca3471 New commenter

I would not do this. Why would I do all the actual work (ie the tutoring!) and then hand over a percentage to anyone other than the taxman, solely for providing premises (which I have), clients (which I have and can easily find) and printing (which I can do).

3. tutor314

tutor314 New commenter

Hi, yes I completely understand if you have an office at home, the time to find clients and are happy working alone then it would make no sense.

4. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

No I wouldn't agree to this. I set my own prices and discuss with people what they want before they start. I use my own resources. I don't want to work off something someone else has created.

5. Kateray1

Kateray1 New commenter

I thought about hiring a space to tutor as I don’t have space at home. But the majority of my clients want me to come to them that’s the point for them they don’t have to travel to a tutor. However, I have just taken on my first student who will be travelling to me.

6. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Lead commenter

Since there seems to be a tuition centre on nearly every street corner, I wonder whether the overheads would negate any profit you might make.

7. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

If it's office space and facilities you want, you could look at those shared office spaces, can't remember what they're called, is it co-working?

8. tutor314

tutor314 New commenter

I enjoy working with others. It's the one of the things I miss about being in a school. Being able to bounce ideas off other teachers, give advice and support...