1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting Primary in Sept - recommended reading/resources

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by hardiesarah84, May 3, 2011.

1. Hi there
    I will be starting a PGCE General Primary at Southampton University in September and am thinking it may be worth doing some reading now to lighten the load when I start the course.
    I have not received a reading list yet and wondered whether anyone already doing a PGCE course could suggest any books or resources that you have found useful.
    Many thanks in advance.

2. Have a think about any subject weaknesses you may have. When I did my PGCE, Maths was my weakness. I found the best book for me was 'Mathematics Explained for Primary Teachers' by Derek Haylock. (It's now in its 4th edition)

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I agree with beethan31 about targeting your subject weaknesses. I can also recommend Haylock's book as a good introduction to teaching maths. It was required reading for my course but it's been useful regardless of that. The "Achieving QTS" series is also pretty good in my opinion - you can get those for all the different subjects.

4. Russell Grigg - becoming an outstanding primary school teacher. Excellent resource and covers all aspects of the pgce experience.

Paul Ginnis - The teachers toolkit again loads of fantastic ideas of activities that you make like to include in your teaching and help you to develop you teaching philosophy.