1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting pill after taking emergency contraceptive

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Poppy_Red, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Poppy_Red

Poppy_Red New commenter

If you start taking the pill on the same day as taking the morning after pill, would you be protected from pregnancy after 7 days? I know usual advice is to wait until your next period, but you can start taking it at other times during your cycle but need to take precautions for 7 days.

Does anyone know?

2. No. Wait until your next period has ended.
    If it's that much of an issue get a coil or an implant.

3. Poppy_Red

Poppy_Red New commenter

Why is this Lily? When would you be protected from pregnancy then if you were to start the pill on the same day as EC?

4. Regardless of when you take you pill you will be protected after 7 days.

5. The usual advice is there to protect you from the outside chance. If the outside chance is not a matter of any importance to you and your partner then by all means have sex seven days after you took the pill that you had to take because the previous precaution failed.
    Not sure why a condom might be such a problem.

6. Poppy_Red

Poppy_Red New commenter

Thanks pff, thats what I thought too. Guess the only worry is if the morning after pill didnt work for some reason - clearly if you were already pregnant then the pill would not work :D but fingers crossed thats not the case.

7. Poppy_Red

Poppy_Red New commenter

Thanks Lily. I had to take the morning after pill due to condom breaking, and I wanted to start taking the pill straight away too just to make doubly sure. Have researched online but cant find any advice about starting the pill on the same day as taking the morning after pill - I just wanted to be on the pill again ASAP to avoid any worry in future.

8. I see. I thought you were trying to rush back into otherwise-unprotected sex asap. Sorry.

9. Poppy_Red

Poppy_Red New commenter

No worries Lily! Definitely dont want to do that - would have been pointless getting the morning after pill in the first place! [​IMG]