1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting PGCE in Sept: Any Advice?

Discussion in 'English' started by thequillguy, May 22, 2011.

1. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

Which uni are you going to? I would begin to make notes on things like the Cox report and suchlike. I would also put as many things in place as possible to leave yourself with free time; I, for example, somehow managed to ensure I passed my driving test in the summer before the PGCE. Not sure I would have like to find time otherwise! PM me your email address and I can send you some other material.

2. Hi, sorry to be cheeky but would it be okay for me to ask you for some other material too?? I'm starting my PGCE English in September too and so far the advice i've received is to relax and see my friends and family - obviously good advice but I was looking for a bit more subject based material!!

3. hiya
    if i'm lucky enough to get my trainee details well in advance, which i usually do, one thing i always get them to do is familiarise themselves with texts they'll be teaching and 'read around' the texts too so they feel confident. it's only reading so it won't steal your summer (as previous poster was correct...u really SHOULD relax and enjoy this period of calm!) but will benefit u no end.
    as soon as you find out your first placement contact the eng dept and get a rough idea of texts

even without this though u can read the obvious and most widely used Shakespeare texts/ ELH texts etc to give yourself a good grounding and feel like u are going in there armed with a fair bit of subject knowledge
    :)

4. Hi

I'm starting my PGCE in September too (Goldsmiths) and am wondering if there's anything apart from lots of reading to improve subject knowledge that would make a big difference over the summer?

Any other tips about placements would be much appreciated!