1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting pay scale

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Arwel05, Jul 20, 2011.

1. A friend of mine from University worked outside education for 5 years before embarking on his career. Last year he was told that because of this he shouldn't have started on the NQT pay scale and should have started on the next level. As this wasn't done when he started his job he has now been reimbursed back pay and will now be going through his threshold this year. My situation is exactly the same as his but I rang my HR and they said that this shouldn't have been the case? Any suggestions about this please?

2. A friend of mine from University worked outside education for 5 years before embarking on his career. Last year he was told that because of this he shouldn't have started on the NQT pay scale and should have started on the next level. As this wasn't done when he started his job he has now been reimbursed back pay and will now be going through his threshold this year. My situation is exactly the same as his but I rang my HR and they said that this shouldn't have been the case? Any suggestions about this please?

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Your friend from University has been very lucky. It is not typical that experience or years served outside of education results in any pay scale increase. The decision lies with the appointing school and is at the head teachers descretion.

4. tomjones79

tomjones79 New commenter

Your friend has been unbelievably lucky as I had similar experience but had to work six years before threshold. Also, I'm not sure that they will be able to pass Threshold as it requires a review of your last two PM reviews.

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

There are some LAs who routinely place all their teachers higher than M1 on the payscale because of previous work experience. I started on P5 of the old 9 point scale.
    Presumably your friend is in one of those LAs and they messed up when he started and have now put it right. or there may be documentation showing that he was supposed to be started higher than M1.
    Your LA may not reward past experience and they don't have to.

6. It should be nothing to do with the LA. It is the responsibility of the individual school to decide pay levels as long as they are in accordance with STPCD.