1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting own business whilst working notice period?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by MJP1, Apr 12, 2012.

1. I’ve had enough of teaching and I’m resigning on
    Monday! The final straw came towards the end of last term when I was told that
    my observed year 13 biology lesson on the eye was not of sufficient pace! It
    had some talk from me followed by a demo of the parts of the eye on a model.
    This was followed by an eye dissection and then the students made a model of
    the retina using plasticine (showing the rods, cones, bipolar and afferent
    neurones, and how visual sensitivity and acuity comes about). It had
    everything- something for the visual learner, something for the auditory
    learner and something for the kinaesthetic learner. It was a 2 hour lesson and
    I gave the students the time to really explore the ‘real’ eye as it’s something
    they will probably never ever do again in their lives but they spend all of
    their time peering out through their own. It will also be one of those things
    that they remember in years to come as well especially when I had them thinking
    of songs related to the eye for 2 minutes following on from the eye dissection
    (2 hours is a long time!). Hopefully in years to come when watching Rocky 3 and
    ‘Eye of the tiger’ comes on it will bring back a few memories. I even asked the
    students at the end of the lesson for their feedback and they said they had
    really enjoyed it. They could explain how convergence of info from rods allowed
    greater sensitivity and how single bipolar cells connecting to individual cone
    cells leads to higher visual acuity. This is my subject, I have a PhD in
    neurophysiology/ neuropharmacology and I love telling students about the
    workings of the nervous system.</font>

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">

</font>However the feedback from my Head of Department
    (presumably after training from SLT) was that their wasn't sufficient pace. I
    think it's because I didn't have a countdown timer on the board showing the
    students that they only had 3.5 min to use the scalpel before moving on to use the
    dissection scissors for a further 4.75 min!! I don't even think that my Head of
    Department has ever taught year 13 biology (she is actually a biologist as
    well)!</font>

</font>It's interesting that in the 'preamble' to the new
    Teacher Standards (to come into force from 1st Sept 2012) the first thing that
    is mentioned is 'good subject knowledge'. However as far as I am concerned at
    my school the emphasis is still on specifying what your learning
    objectives/outcomes are (and revisiting them at the end and during multiple
    mini-plenaries), using whiteboards, timers, etc. that seems to be more
    important. The actual act of imparting knowledge and showing a real interest in
    the subject and enthusing the students for the subject is secondary (this is
    also an important component of the new standards). The powers that be seem to
    be so wrapped up in outcomes that sometimes that they miss the point. I
    happened upon one biology lesson where a colleague had told the students that
    if they knew such and such they would get a C grade but if they knew such and
    such as well they would get an A grade. This lesson was deemed as good to
    outstanding. What a load of rubbish. The A grade in A level biology is achieved
    by having good subject knowledge but also being able to apply it in new and unfamiliar
    situations which requires understanding. The observer of the lesson didn't have
    a clue!</font>

</font>All this has made me think what am I doing in
    teaching. I don't want to do it anymore. My heart isn't in it as I don't think
    I'm actually passing on my knowledge anymore. Whilst knowledge of learning
    styles and adopting teaching strategies to meet these is important, is this
    really how the real world works? How will these future adults cope? Can you
    imagine in 30 years time when these current students come across a problem or
    question they cannot answer who will they turn to for the answers? No doubt
    they'll need to resort to mini whiteboards, countdown timers with several
    mini-plenaries and a plenary during the course of their working days.</font>

</font>Anyway after all that rambling my question is
    this:- as I'm starting up my own business, and it may be possible to start it
    up before the end of the Summer term, will I be able to teach as well as have
    this second job whilst finishing off the term (so long as the business does not
    interfere with the teaching)? </font>

2. consult your contract - sometimes (as in mine) it specifies that you must ask your headmaster for permission to do anything outside school.

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Or if you are using resources that "belong" to the school (which may, or may not, include teaching resources). So, to me, advice would depend on what it is you intend to do.

4. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

On a secondary note, this thread really depressed me...