1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting on the clearout...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Marshall, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

...of Hubs clothes (and mine).

I'm surprised that I'm not anxious about this - but I haven't started yet.

I am donating them to the hospice that cared for him at home, they have several shops.

Apparently H&M accept socks and undies as they recycle them.

Did his bedside drawers yesterday - what a load of rubbish!

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I started doing it for myself but ... what a load of rubbish! So I shall be very mean and leave it to those who come after! :eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O

Naughty me! But they can always get someone just to clear it out and not worry about the finer points. They don't have to do it themselves if they don't want to.

emerald52, Marshall and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Be completely lacking in ruth, unless something is of real sentimental value. Moving house is similar. I did it, and got rid of loads but still have some stuff that "might come in useful".

4. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I've always warned MrA the first thing I'll be ordering upon his demise is a skip.

When I cleared my mother's stuff, there were lots of things I'd grown up with and I knew were precious to her so I brought them back to mine even though I had no use for them. A few years later, when they'd sat in a box in the loft, I took them out, photographed them and took them to a charity shop.

If I feel a moment of sentiment thaw my icy heart for a moment, I just have a look at the pictures.

5. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I’ve done quite a bit of decluttering my stuff over the last few years. Y yarn stash is left, but is slowly being used and charity shops will accept it.

Mr F on the other hand........

Marshall likes this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

I let my mother's friend clear her flat. She gave me what she thought I'd like. Gawd, I'm lazy. But my mother had helped out by downsizing already and had left very little as she knew I'd just chuck it all!

Marshall likes this.
  7. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

The Millennials won't have this problem, as they (mostly, stop stereotyping!) seem to be organised and clear stuff out. Maybe it's because they're less likely to own a house/houses are smaller/they're less likely to get married and stay in the same house for decades-and they have social media, so perhaps not the same sentiment as Gen X/Boomers. I'm pretty sure that even if FB had existed, my friends would have thought I was weird if I's posted pictures of perfectly neat, boxed socks in order of colour etc...
    OP, be gentle with yourself when doing this, it's surprising how sentiment can suddenly strike. The taking a photo idea is a good oe-you never have to look if you don't want to, but you have the option of doing so.

Marshall and Duke of York like this.
  8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

There was an article on the BBC website a few year ago that looked at simpler it was more youngsters to move home than it was for their parents.

Since they were living in accommodation with no secure tenure, they never acquired the tools their parents needed to personalise their homes the way they wanted them to be. What's the point if the landlord is likely to turf you out in six months?

The record collections my ex-wife faught over owneship of, are these days easily copied onto digital media to be put on the cloud and be forgotten about once done so. No more lugging records about from home to the next.

The BBC article reckoned that millenials could move home at a momemt's notice if they had to and the biggest problem they'd face would be finding somewhere to pack their razor, which of course was joke, since none of them owned one.

Marshall likes this.
  9. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

@Marshall take it gently. Sometimes things you don't expect to feel moved by are hardest. Glasses, for example.
    But there's no rush. You can do one cupboard this week and then wait. Or if you feel in the zone, you might do it all. No-one will mind if it's not all done by Friday. You are retired now, remember, you have the glory of Time To Do Things.

Marshall likes this.
  10. grumpydogwoman

But also don't worry if it doesn't bother you. I'm not a sentimental person and could easily dispense of stuff. Doesn't mean I didn't love the person. Just means their belongings don't mean that much to me. But neither do my own. Nothing is permanent. We come and go. We are leaves. Living and dead.

If it doesn't instil great sadness into you? That's ok too. Your bond now is with his daughters and that's worth far more than anything else. That's your lasting achievement. Loving them and having them come to YOU.

mothorchid and Marshall like this.