1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting off as a tutor

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by sanah94, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Hi guys,

So I have just completed my degree in childhood, family & education studies and will be starting my PGCE for primary in September. As part of the PGCE requirements I had to undertake the QTS maths and english test for which i undertook tuition for the maths one. After passing that my tutor asked me to give her boys vocab tuition for their grammar school exam which i have been doing. After experiencing tutoring I would like to start giving tuition to KS2 children but i'm struggling on how to start off and what resources i need and how to judge a child's weaknesses etc and what guidelines to follow when tutoring certain age groups

Can anyone help?

Kind regards

SANAH

2. GordonNome

GordonNome New commenter

Welcome.

If you are struggling to decide how to start, what resource you need, how to judge weaknesses and what guidelines to follow then may I suggest that you are not yet ready to tutor? I suggest you complete the PGCE first and then do some research into what is expected for each year group and how you could convey that.

Hope the PGCE goes well.

3. decj

decj New commenter

I agree with GordonNome. You need a lot more experience under your belt before you will be in a position to tutor a range of children of differing ages and abilities.

Good luck.

4. scorpio12

scorpio12 New commenter

Have to agree with other posters. Best of luck for the PGCE.