1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting off as a Maths Tutor - Suggestions needed.

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by SparkMaths, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Bashkemesuesi

Bashkemesuesi New commenter

How many times do I have to tell you to stop writing about this topic on this thread? Open a new one or resurrect an old one. Over and out.

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

As often as you wish, as frequently as you avoid taking a definite stance on this issue.

3. SparkMaths

SparkMaths New commenter

I feel like I've opened Pandora's Box here, what is going on?

Obviously anyone in any sort of teaching position shouldn't be kissing the students, how is this even a discussion and why is it in my thread.

PGCE_tutor and Piranha like this.
  4. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

Yes, serves the parents right for being such cheapskates. I wonder how many of these parents would be just as happy to employ a BTEC student to do their plumbing or electrics? Very few, I expect, but it's fine to cut corners on your kid's education.

That's one of the advantages of using someone old, small, and balding, like myself. Your daughter isn't going to take a fancy to him:).

5. Bashkemesuesi

I.e. you're calling yourself a brick wall.

I've said far more than you, with explanations and explorations galore. Your contributions have been basically a string of questions with no indication of your own position, or where you've made statements you've failed to respond to challenges to justify them. I think other members reading this correspondence will form their own judgment about who's "avoiding".

6. Vince_Ulam

That is to say obfuscated.

This sixth former was in the wrong, yes?

7. Bashkemesuesi

You just asked the same question over and over in different words, made occasional blunt dogmatic propositions and offered nary a word in their defence.

I'm assuming that the mum in question was talking about snogging actually taking place during the session, otherwise how would she know about it? In which case of course it's wrong. But let's be clear, it's wrong because it's an abuse of time paid for a different purpose; it would have been the same if they'd played chess during that time. It's not wrong because an 18 and 16 year old aren't allowed to snog at all; or if they're not, that's a general ethical matter and nothing specifically to do with the activity of tutoring/studying or any other interaction.

Try to see the case other than from a perspective of sex-obsession.

Stopping here as another reply has come through so will continue there....

8. gainly

gainly Established commenter

I hadn't meant to start all this. Sorry I posted it now.

9. Bashkemesuesi

Please see post 35 point 3. There is in fact nothing "obviously" clearcut about this. The case is utterly different from where a school student is stuck with a teacher who has a closed-shop monopoly on their education in the subject.

People in all walks of life meet each other under all kinds of circumstances, e.g. as customer/vendor, or other business interactions, and have a professional relationship of one kind or another for some time before, sometimes, it also becomes a romantic one. Why is this particular case any different from that in principle?

Of course, if he was so foolish as to be snogging a girl during a time when he was being entrusted with tutoring her, that was thoroughly unprofessional and good grounds for the mum to ditch him in favour of someone more responsible. However, how the boy and girl took their relationship from there would be entirely up to them.

To try to get this thread off the typically British sex-obsessive turn it's taken, I'd mention the case of a Y13 girl I tutored two or three years ago shortly before her A levels. That was in maths, and she was also doing psychology, which she went on to study at university. While there, she advertised (on one of the tutoring websites we're not supposed to name) as a tutor for GCSE maths and A level psychology. I'm content with the first as she got the maths A level, but not with the second as she hadn't yet got the next level in psychology, namely the bachelor degree. Fair enough?

10. Bashkemesuesi

Yes, it deserved its own thread didn't it? Time for you to head over to my "onceler" thread where you belong ;)

11. Vince_Ulam

When it comes to safeguarding, yes, I am a brick wall and so should you be.

12. Bashkemesuesi

Duh, anyone can see I was talking about your persistent refusal to stop posting on this topic in this thread which you've basically hijacked for what sounds increasingly like a pet peeve. But your mention of safeguarding just shows your confusion of thought. We are talking about a 16 year old girl, and another school student, for all we know at the same school. Neither is the "social superior" of the other.

May as well mention, before anyone asks or suggests, that none of this has anything to do with me personally or anything I've done with any of my students.

13. Bashkemesuesi

"Students"? Plural? You have no authority for suggesting this (though for all we know it might be the case). Rather, ask yourself why you're jumping to conclusions beyond the given evidence. Why can't it be a plain simple case of schooltime boyfriend and girlfriend?

14. Vince_Ulam

It is not your place to tell me to stop posting anywhere upon this site.

15. Vince_Ulam

Do you not understand that protecting pupils from harm also involves protecting them from other pupils? Have you never taught in a school?

16. SparkMaths

SparkMaths New commenter

You hijacked my thread, fortunately I got the advice I needed before you did. I would expect any teacher to defend safeguarding concerns to the death so the people questioning you are not to blame here.

Nobody here is interested in discussing tutor-student relationships, you are on a website for teachers and our stance on this should be obvious.

I have actually gotten some good feedback from this, sadly my CRB check is going to be a much bigger selling point than I thought.

So true.

17. gainly

gainly Established commenter

I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but looking again at the post from mumsnet, I think the 6th former was a girl and it was the boy who was being tutored.

18. Vince_Ulam

There is no difference.

19. BG54

BG54 New commenter

Irrelevant. One of the students is acting as a tutor, that implies that he/she is in a position of trust. It's highly unprofessional at best, and at worst manipulating that position of trust if the tutor and a student who is under 18 engage in any kind of sexual contact, regardless of who initiates it.

langteacher and Vince_Ulam like this.
  20. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

If you're looking for resources, then you need to be in the resources section. This is the forum section.