1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting off as a Maths Tutor - Suggestions needed.

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by SparkMaths, Sep 18, 2018.

1. SparkMaths

SparkMaths New commenter

Hello everyone, through a mix of personal circumstances and wanting some time off from planning/marking to work on other things, I'm interested in doing private tutoring.

A quick look online and there's a never ending list of tutoring companies and websites. What I'm looking for are a few suggestions on the best way to get started:

• Is it best to join a some sort of tutoring company or advertise through a tutor website?
    • Which companies/websites are the most reputable?
    • Do I just do my own thing or is there some sort of expected scheme of work to follow/resources to use?
    I really appreciate any advice I get, thank you in advance :)

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Anyone want to help out your competition here?

3. SparkMaths

SparkMaths New commenter

Haha true, hopefully there's enough work for everyone!

langteacher likes this.
  4. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Unless you get pleasure giving money to parasites don't touch any tutoring company. Not only will you be giving them money that you have worked for, but most of them rip-off the students and their parents too.

As for the never ending list, yes it's like a vast herd of pigs trying to get their nose in the trough. Everybody, regardless of suitability, seems to think that they should get a slice of the private tutoring cake. It's like the Wild West, but at least there the ones who couldn't sling a gun quickly got taken out.

5. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

I would suggest advertising on tutoring sites which charge the student for your details but don't charge you commission. I'm with [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions], others on here also seem to have some success with first tutors. Of course you can be on several sites. Do be prepared to be contacted by quite a few time wasters. I would avoid paying a tutoring company commission if possible.

There are several threads on here about ways to advertise. Other ideas are using facebook, your own website, cards in shop windows advertising on your car.

Each student is different. To me the whole point of one to one tuition is that you can tailor the lessons to the individual student. Obviously you need to be fully aware of the specification for whatever exams they are working towards, but otherwise do your own thing as seems best for the particular student.

I hope that helps. I've been trying rather unsuccessfully to reduce the number of students I have, so unlike Vince would welcome competition.

6. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

Sign up with [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]. These charge the student a finder fee.
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions] splits this into two bits, so any you get from there make sure they know that they have to pay a bit more in the first lesson. I have never signed up with any company that charges me anything. I would certainly not sign up for any that charged a per lesson commission.
    I had a website that I paid for, it brought me nothing, I ditched it
    I have a Facebook page that I use a fair bit and I get a fair amount of work from it. Not tons but enough. I get my friends to share my posts.
    In terms of scheme of work etc that all depends on what the student wants. Find out what they're struggling with. It may be that they turn up one day and say we did XYZ in class today and I just didn't get it. So be prepared to put aside any plan that you had and do that instead.

Regarding Vince's comment, we may not be the same subject, we may not be the same area, but I would have given the same advice if we were. Competition does not bother me in the slightest, I have a fair number of recommendations from my own customers and plenty of work to keep me going. I help people because I am a helpful person, it kind of goes with being a teacher

7. Vince_Ulam

Probably not. Training your competition is not a sustainable business practice. Those who do complain about the tutor listing sites but, strangely enough, never seem to make the connection.

My advice is that you work out the answers to these initial questions yourself now. Like our subject, business expertise is incremental and if someone has no interest in figuring out the rudiments then they will be unable to progress and may as well find another employer.

8. Vince_Ulam

Yes, of course. Everyone knows that teaching is about always giving everyone the answers. That's all it is. Giving the answers.

9. Vince_Ulam

Top tip: Pay prospective students not to bother you. You will probably save money in the long term.

10. langteacher

I can't remember where I found the tuition websites on which I advertise when I first started. Maybe I asked someone on here.

11. Vince_Ulam

Do you suppose that you would not have learnt of them otherwise?

12. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

I think I typed into Google what someone would probably put if they were searching for a tutor in the subjects I was offering and saw which websites came near the top of the search. Then have a look at the websites and see how they work.

13. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

While there is (in theory) a lot of demand for Maths tutors, there are also lots of tutors who offer GCSE Maths tutoring. There is a sixth former local to me who offers GCSE tuition for £10 per hour who judging by the reviews is very popular with local parents. If you live in a university area, there may also be university students advertising as well.

14. BG54

BG54 New commenter

I'll give the OP one agency to avoid,
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]- they rake off 25% of your fee for the first 100 hours tuition. Although
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions] expect you to collect commission I found them quite useful in providing students in my early days as a tutor. Generally I have found
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions] to be the best agency overall and once you're established you should soon pick up personal referrals.

In keeping with @Vince_Ulam 's policy if you operate in NW England everything that I posted above is rubbish. ;-)

langteacher likes this.
  15. langteacher

Yes of course I would have discovered them by myself. However some work in different ways. I have found that UK Tutors do not make it clear that their fee is split into two parts. So now that I know this, I make sure that prospective tutees / parents are aware of this before they pay for my details. I had an occasion where they thought they had paid the finder fee, when in fact they had only paid half or whatever it is. I don't think it does any harm to point this out to someone just starting out.
    The point I was making is we can share our experiences without it being detrimental to our own work

16. Bashkemesuesi

Bashkemesuesi New commenter

Excuse me?

Just raise your prices.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  17. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

Bash! You're back! But unusually terse, we were expecting a little more extemporisation...

18. Vince_Ulam

Then let others do this. The more advice you give, the more competition you create.

19. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

When [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions], and David Getling [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions], I find that [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions], [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions], but not without disinfecting it first.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  20. langteacher

If you do not wish to help others because you fear a bit of competition, that is entirely your choice. Given that I am secure in the knowledge that I am doing a decent job, a bit of competition, as you so put it, does not bother me so if someone asks for help, I will give it.