1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting NQT on maternity cover in the middle of the year.

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by GloriaSunshine, Mar 10, 2012.

1. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

I'm not primary, but even when you start in January, classes are set, so it won't be your class. I would do everything the way that the children do it now unless you really feel very strongly about doing sonething differently. That way, you'll feel in control because the class will co-operate collectively out of habit. If you try too much retraining, they'll be unsettled, and youre setting yourself up to be judged unfavourably against 'their' teacher, so consider how much you'll gain. After all, you'll only be covering that group for a term, or a little longer and it sounds as if you are getting an established class, not one that has had a lot of supply teachers.. Presumably, you'll get a new class in September if you're still covering, and that's the time to establish yourself as their teacher.

2. I started in January and, at first, I think the class found it difficult to settle. I have a difficult class to begin with and they didn't take well to the transition at all.
    Now, however, I have a much better relationship with them and they are (nearly) always a sensible class. It took a half term or so to get there, but I did. So please don't panic if it takes a while for them to get used to you. They will.
    I tried to keep things as consistent as possible with them but I actually found that after rearranging the room and jiggling things like the weekly timetable around a little, they responded to me more positively. I think it was a way of showing them that I was in control from that point on.
    I did get a lot of "Miss X did this" but I'd just reply "That's great but I'm not Miss X" and leave it at that.
    Even if everything all goes horribly, just think: You'll only have them for one term before you get your "own" class.

3. First of all, congratulations on the job!
    I started in June covering a maternity leave. The first day I introduced myself and then spent the first lesson finding out about the children. For the rest of the day we just did normal lessons and carried on from their.
    I was told that the class were badly behaved so I went in strict and because of that I had little problem with their behaviour. It wasn't that pleasant but after the 1st week I could soon relax but I made sure I stook firm to the current behaviour strategy. I also tried to keep things consistent so we did things as their first teacher did and then I made changes in September (there's been a few!). The children adapted well to me and I had comments from staff whose children were in the class that the transition was smooth. As polkadot some children did tell me that's not how 'Mrs X did it' but I told them I'm not Mrs X'.
    Good luck [​IMG]

4. Hi there, I'm in a similar position to you. Starting my first teaching job after Easter (Year 1) and have no idea where to begin! Have been going in once a week to get to know the children but that's as far as I have got really. Feel like I have a huge task ahead of me that I need to begin tackling but don't know how or where to begin. What age are your class-to-be?

I have been reading with each child individually and in that time asking them if there is anything they would like to learn/ do next term/ do more of/ less of/ how they learn best etc to give me a general idea. I'm taking over permanently so I have a bit more scope to change things but this could help you with the transition too? Allowing you to put a bit of your own stamp on things in line with the children's interests?
    (However...depending on the age group...you will probably get a few curve balls thrown in there! Mine was a little boy who asked me to turn the classroom into a spaceship and invite aliens for snack time! Never say never!!...all I need is a willing TA, some green material and a lot of tin foil!)

I am going to add learning/talking partners, learning tool-kits, new sticker charts and some different learning areas in the classroom (a reading den, science 'lab' and maths area). The advice I have been given is to change the neccessary things but not to go crazy..wait until Sept for that. And above all keep it in line with you and your teaching style as that will have the best effect on the children.

My problem is planning at the moment...waiting to get hold of the current teachers planning and assessment files to give me a starting point but I still feel very much in at the deep end. Any advice would be hugely appreciated. Just to know I'm not on my own has helped already to be honest.

Sorry for the large amount of rambling I seem to be doing! Goodluck x