1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting NQT in January Term, Not September

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by studentcrisis, Oct 25, 2018.

1. studentcrisis

studentcrisis New commenter

What are the pros and cons of starting your NQT in January rather than September?

Obviously you’d be taking on an established class and be a term behind anyone else but it’s looking more and more likely that this will be what I need to do next year for various personal reasons (assuming I pass my training year).

Also in a new school how do you manage to learn the rules and routines and what maths/literacy programs the school uses? Do you get an induction or shadowing period?

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

There are generally fewer opportunities in January as schools appoint most NQTs for the September start. However there are often vacancies in January through leavers and maternity/illness and unfilled vacancies. You are therefore the beneficiary ( or victim) of whatever has been taught (or not) in Autumn Term
    There needs to be a full induction for NQTs regardless of when you start. This includes professional development mentor support and working with others such as the literacy and numeracy coordinators and the phase leaders. This is when you will be shown the programmes in use. get familiar with the full induction requirements before starting they are on the DfE website or check the threads above on this forum. Select your school carefully and look for a good induction programme and support.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

At the end of the day I don't think it matters whether you start in Sep or Jan - if you have personal stuff going on then you need to deal with that as a priority.

If you are taking over from someone in Jan then ask the school for a visit and shadowing - it's not likely they'll have an induction day, schools only seem to do this in June.

You should be put in touch with the relevant people in advance of Jan, so can get access to sow and maths/literacy programme info.

pepper5 likes this.
  4. studentcrisis

studentcrisis New commenter

Thank you! That has settled my nerves a bit. The school I’m training in has an NQT who started last jan so I’ll try to chat to him about things too!

blueskydreaming likes this.