1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting new school?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by ChumChumz, Jun 18, 2019.

1. ChumChumz

ChumChumz New commenter

I start a new school in September. After 7 years of teaching I am excited to start however starting a new school is hard enough. I am slightly nervous for the new staff induction day in July.

Anyone else starting a new school? what are you preparing to take? or questions you have ready to ask?

I have prepared a proposition of new topics and skills i can bring to the department. I teach computing and there are a few things that needs updated in the department.

Thank you and Good luck to everyone starting a new job. :)

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I worked in more than 12 schools during my career. If there is one thing I'd recommend - at the start (esp on the induction day) - is to sit quietly and listen and learn... ;)

What I WOULDN'T do is tell them 'there are a few things that needs updated in the department'...even if asked (except, perhaps, in private by the HT).

SundaeTrifle likes this.
  3. ChumChumz

ChumChumz New commenter

Thank you Frank. I was thinking of doing that. The plan is to sit and observe and maybe go thought their marking policy, ask to see folders to get an understanding of the quality.

And then i plan to go in for 2 days (half days) the following two weeks to start putting things into plan. I work part time now. So the plan is to really get things sorted as WELL SORT THE NEW GCSE COMPUTING TOPIC before i start in September.

4. SundaeTrifle

SundaeTrifle Occasional commenter

Congratulations on your new job.

On your new staff induction day you will get an opportunity to meet with your new colleagues and HoD. You should expect to be given your timetable for the coming year, SoW for the classes you teach and copies of the text books they use. You will also find a lot of the day gets taken up with whole school stuff like Safeguarding and GDPR.

You may well be able to contribute new resources to the dept, but hold fire to begin with. If they have a dept meeting where they are discussing SoW you may feel it is appropriate to offer your ideas for development, but be sensitive.

It is ongoing with computer science that resources, methods and technology keeps changing, and unfortunately it can sometimes take time to implement change with budget constraints and the time lag in getting new software on the system.

If this is your first time teaching this particular GCSE Computer Science specification then obviously you need to get yourself prepared ahead of September. You may find the school already has good resources you can adapt and you can also create some to share.

You sound very enthusiastic. Focus on settling in and being part of a new team, there is a lot to take in when you start at a new school.

5. ChumChumz

ChumChumz New commenter

Thank you Sundae Tifle, I am very enthusiastic about it as i don't want to fall back on however i will take your advice and take it slow on the day. It will be a lot of information on the day so i hope i can grasp most of it quickly. Really looking forward to starting the new post. :)

SundaeTrifle likes this.